Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

System Freeze and 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgail

Technical User
Oct 25, 2002
US
My machine is doing hard freeze (no common thread -- just whenever it feels like it). I have replaced the modem, video card, memory, and hard drive. The motherboard is a K7ZVM, 20 Gig WD hard drive, 128 Meg RAM, PCI video with 16M ram, 56K modem (Rockwell). Motherboard has onboard sound, AMR modem slot (which I am not using), and 950 megahertz AMD chip.

I have disabled the ACPI thru Windows as well as all other suggestions I have found including the performance checks that are done by windows. Any other suggestions or anyone else having this problem?

Thanks,

Not sure what you mean by a "hard freeze" but there are some general things you should do:

1. Monitor CPU and system temperature. See if your motherboard manufacturer has a system monitoring utility. If not, after a freeze, immediately reboot and go into the CMOS. There should be an area that records the temperature of the CPU - if it's in excess of 55 degrees (celsius) you need better cooling.

2. Test the power supply (P/S). See if you are getting the 12V, 5V and 3.3V that your system needs.

3. Test your wall outlet. Are other devices sharing the circuit? Computers don't draw a lot of amps but a home stereo receiver, TV, laser printer, etc, all on the same circuit may rob your P/S of amps.

4. Update BIOS. Flashing the BIOS can destroy your motherboard so follow the instructions exactly, and pray. When I flash my BIOS, I boot from a floppy into Safe Mode Command Prompt.

5. Update motherboard chipset drivers. Your motherboard manufacturer should have these drivers but they are not always the latest. Check with VIA or INTEL for the latest drivers for your chipset.

By hard freeze I mean, the system will not respond to anything, CTRL ALT Delete, power button, nothing but the reset button. I have done everything you suggested with the exception of installing new VIA drivers and flashing the BIOS, which I was not to keen on doing (although I have done on other machines before). Thanks and I will try the drivers first then flashing BIOS if that doesn't work.

Personally, I'd flash the BIOS first. I prefer to work from the ground up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back