Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

System for searching SQL tables and contents of external documents

Status
Not open for further replies.

dexeloper

Programmer
Oct 26, 2004
GB
I've written a system in the past that searched the contents of tables and the content of external documents. This was done by using Indexing Services over the documents, creating a linked server in SQL with provider 'MSIDXS', and using an openquery statement in SQL to search the contents.

If I want to write a similar system today what should I be using to search the documents. Microsoft say Indexing Services has been replaced by Windows Search (WS). However they say WS is a desktop tool rather than a server tool. The method of controlling which folders WS uses is also extremely obtuse. Furthermore, I don't see how to create a linked server in SQL that uses WS.

I don't want to copy the documents to columns in SQL tables. That would just be duplicating everything.

Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back