Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

System Files

Status
Not open for further replies.

slick133

Technical User
Dec 22, 2002
CA
Some of my mp3s have been turned into system files, this was nto my own doing but nevertheless it has happened and i don't know how to change them back to just normal mp3s, to get them to show up in the folder i needed to enable the folder to show hidden files and folders and also make it show system files. Now this allowed me to see the files, and to play them in winamp and other programs but the actual files still appear faded like they are hidden, when right clicking and going into the properties of one of them the hidden box is checked but it does not allow me to unclick it, the hidden option is faded out. Any help on changing them back would be greatly appreciated. Thanx.

More than likely the files also have the SYSTEM attribute set too. Open a command prompt, navigate to the folder containing the affected file(s) and use the ATTRIB command, e.g. attrib -s zzzz.sys. You could also reset the hidden and/or read-only attribute at the same time:
attrib -s -h -r zzzz.sys

Thank you, it works, the help was muchly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back