Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

System files out of date problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

yobensh

Technical User
Jan 13, 2006
IL
Hi,

I've created a setup file using PDW for my application. When I install it on machine running with winXP OS, it setup is working fine.
The problem begins when I try to install the program on a machine with WIN98 OS...then it gives me something like this: "Setup cannot continue because some system files are out of date on your system"
Then it asks me to restart my computer in order that the setup will update those file on my system. After I did that I'm still getting the same notice!!

Can anyone please help a desperate man here?!?!

Thank you all in advance

Yoav

The XP file protection prevents system files to be overwritten. So everytime your application tries to overwrite it in reboot, it wont allow it to do so. Next time you run the setup, the system files are again old version!

Since XP normally has the latest system files for your application, to resolve this issue, you can safely remove the system files from you setup and deploy.

System files to be removed are,

COMCAT.DLL
stdole2.tlb
asycfilt.dll
olepro32.dll
oleaut32.dll

------------------------------------------
The faulty interface lies between the chair and the keyboard.

Thanks vbSun for replying!

Thing that I did not mention here is that I'm creating the setup file with WIN-XP...so I guess that's why it works fine when I install it on another machine with WIN-XP.

Will it still work for me when trying to install it on matchine with WIN 98?? As I understand, those files might be missing if I'll remove them from the PDW..

Yoav,

I've heard that if you compile a program on Windows XP it may or may not work on Windows 2000. I know, for a fact that if you compile on a Windows 2000 machine it will run on a Windows XP machine. I do my work on a Windows 2000 machine and run the programs on both Windows 2000 and Windows XP machines in the factory.

As for compiling on a Windows XP machine and running on a Windows 98 machine, I don't know. But it may have the same problems. Not sure what they are, but the system files may be incompatible.

Did you run any updates on your Windows 98 machine from microsoft.windowsupdate.com?

HyperEngineer
If it ain't broke, it probably needs improvement.

yobensh,

Are your trying to redistribute dependant files from your (XP)computers System32 folder or are you selecting those from Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VB98\Wizards\PDWizard\Redist.

The latter are old versions which are more likely to work with Win 98. Installing XP version dependant files on previous versions of Windows has given me headaches in the past.

To be serious in such things it is very good to have a Win 9n system to test/ compile on.

Hugh,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back