Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

system files description

Status
Not open for further replies.

junm

MIS
Nov 8, 2000
PH
I want to know the description of all system files running on my system. I need to know what these files are doing on my system so that I can stop the process(es) that I don't need to optimize my PC. These files can be viewed by selecting the Processes tab on the Windows Task Manager. Is there a way to do this? Pls. advise. Thanks.
Jun E. Merencilla
Software Engineer
24/F Antel 2000 Corporate Center
121 Valero Street, Salcedo Village
Makati City, Philippines
Tel. No. (632)8871718 loc. 151
email: junm@misnet.com.ph

Hi junm,

A quick and easy way of figuring out exactly what command spawned a specific process is to go to the services mmc of W2K and do a quick search for the .exe observer under tskmngr. This search will pull up the associated process that created it. Even under the general services mmc, you will be given a succint description of what the process does.

Hope this helps.

Thanks. However, I can't seen to find microsoft management console or mmc. How will I do this? Pls advise (again). Thanks. Jun E. Merencilla
Software Engineer
Makati City, Philippines

Option 1: Right-click on My Computer and choose "manage".

Option 2: Start>Settings>Control Panels>Administrative Tools>Computer Management
Jeff
masterracker@hotmail.com

If everything seems to be going well: you don't have enough information.......

Thanks Jeff. Jun E. Merencilla
Software Engineer
Makati City, Philippines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back