Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

System Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mickeyncube

Technical User
May 29, 2003
GB
I've recently re-imaged a PC to Win NT4.0 service pack 6.0. Everythings' been working fine until I upgraded the RAM to 128MB. the user started getting the following error message when logging in.''The file or directory \winnt\profiles\username\temporary internet files\Content.ie5\XCI02r0a is corrupt & unreadable. Please run CHKDSK utility.''

I've run CHKDsk but it's still not working

Please help. Thanks

1. Have you checked RAM ok (eg, - or better, try different (good) memory & see if problem persists).

2. If RAM ok, can you just clear down temporary internet files for this user? Does same thing happen if you log on as other user. If you can't clear temp files from user, can you just delete everything in the folder logged on as a different (Administrator access) user?

3. Did chkdsk find anything wrong?

Create the user a new profile can they log on then
?

Thanks for the responses guys - I'll comment on your answers individually
Wolluf - I downloaded memtest8.6 ver 2.9 & 3.0 but both didn't work. I've replaced the RAM with new slots but still hasn't changed anything.
I tried renaming the userprofile so that Windows would recreate a new one, but for some unknown reason the WINNT folder has been deleted and I cant find it.

Can I recreate the folder?

PCmad -Without this folder I cant recreate a new user profile.

Thanks again for the responses

Mickeyncube - 'WINNT folder has been deleted' - so you can't load NT then (as that's the system folder!).

Come on guy's - he's looking for help not critisism!

It may be possable that you've been virus'd - suggest virus check and re-install since winnt directory deleted - You probaly only get the boot manager screen at present prior to the error.

Thanks for the responses guys:

It surprises me, though the Winnt & Profiles folder dont exist. The user can still logon to Windows. I know that practically if this folder doesnt exist the OS will not load.
Everything works except for the error message stated above. I hope this makes sense.

Once again Thanks for the help

Ask again - did chkdsk find anything when you ran it?
Have you got system or hidden attribute set on \winnt?
If you do logon, and for example run Word or similar, when you try to open/save documents, does it find the 'personal' folder (usually default for such operations on NT)?

Could try loading drive in another machine as slave to have a look at it (may see winnt - see next comment), run chkdsk again.

btw - I have known something like this - but with windows 98 - it was a hardware problem (most of the windows folder disappeared - but this caused 98 to not load properly, it ran scandisk - scandisk didn't find anything - then missing stuff reappeared (by itslef), then disappeared again (some days later). This time scandisk found lots (obviously missing files/folders) & unfortunately recovered them with its numbered system. But as I said - it was hardware (cpu/mobo incompatibility).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back