Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

System error: Lsass.exe 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonuteklists

Technical User
Jul 20, 2004
US
On one of the Dell laptops, I am getting this message. I dont know the history of it as the laptop doesnt belong to me. But what happens is that this Inspiron 5150 continuisly reboots with the following message,

System error: Lsass.exe
When trying to update a password the return status indicates that the value provided as the current password is not correct.

Now, I found an MSDN article which about it here,

A few issues. I dont have the original setup CD that came with the laptop. I have a reinstallation CD from another laptop. You think that might work??
Also, instead of going into the recovery console as described in the article, you think trying to do a repair would work. As usual the user of the laptop has never done a backup, so it is very important for me not to lose any information.

Please advice.
Thanks.

You have inherited the sasser worm. Follow these steps to get rid of it.

First off download this patch.

Second off follow this page.

3rd when finished, go to windows update and download all available updates they have.

When done with all that go here and run a full system scan

Also next time your computer goes to shutdown go to start, run, then type shutdown -a and that should stop it.

There is a point in wisdom and knowledge that when you reach it, you exceed what is considered possible - Jason Schoon

Thanks for the advice.
But I am unable to do follow any of the tips as I am unable to boot into the computer in the first place.
The computer had gone into a continuos boot cycle and simply doesnt stop, even when I tried safe mode and boot to last known good configuration.
Please advice.

Follow this from your link that you posted. Go into recovery mode and do this.

md tmp
copy c:\windows\system32\config\system c:\windows\tmp\system.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\software c:\windows\tmp\software.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\sam c:\windows\tmp\sam.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\security c:\windows\tmp\security.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\default c:\windows\tmp\default.bak

delete c:\windows\system32\config\system
delete c:\windows\system32\config\software
delete c:\windows\system32\config\sam
delete c:\windows\system32\config\security
delete c:\windows\system32\config\default

copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system
copy c:\windows\repair\software c:\windows\system32\config\software
copy c:\windows\repair\sam c:\windows\system32\config\sam
copy c:\windows\repair\security c:\windows\system32\config\security
copy c:\windows\repair\default c:\windows\system32\config\default

There is a point in wisdom and knowledge that when you reach it, you exceed what is considered possible - Jason Schoon

Ok, will do.
Just wanted to confirm again if it was okay to start from a reinstall CD from another laptop.

Also, why did you list only the above steps. Are saying that that much is enough??

Please advice.
Thanks.

Well honestly ive never had this worm go as far as completly stopping from getting into windows so I figure those will help. If you can get into windows then we can eliminate it.

326246 - How to Replace Lost, Broken, or Missing Microsoft Software or Hardware

Is this other CD from a similar make and model laptop? Is it the same version of XP, OEM or Retail, Home or PRO?
It is a bit of a gamble as to whether it will work or not, whether any Product Key will pass validation or not. Any failure at the point of Product Key validation may result in you having to abandon any repair install halfway through Setup, this then may leave you in a nasty mess with the possibility of only a clean install to get out of the said mess. Like I said, it is a bit of a gamble.

Stick with this procedure as a first try.

An easy to follow recovery console description when unable to start computer due to corrupt registry.

This is a layman's version of Q307545 in simple language.

Cool !!
Thanks a lot for everyone for their valuable suggestions.
I was able to boot into the machine.
Right now, I am backing up the machine.
Then it will be a clean sweep ...

Fair warning if your going to do a format and complete clean install as I think you are. When you install windows be sure to download all the updates available or you will just wind up back in the same place you were just at.

I am sorry, just one more Q. I was trying to backup to a Western Digital External USB drive, but it doesnt seem to see it. In Device manager it does see external USB. USB devices are enabled, I tried to install the driver, but still not luck. Am I using the wrong driver??
Thanks.

Dont be sorry thats what this forum is for. Windows xp should auto install and read from my experience with them. Go to control panel, the administrative tools then click on services. make sure removable storage is running.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back