Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

System Drive error

Status
Not open for further replies.

mnortman

Technical User
Sep 24, 2012
US
We had a power issue and the Aria 250 did not boot. It said it did not see the system drive (in drive 0). I removed the drive and it booted up on the second system drive (in drive slot 1). I am attempting to replace the faulty drive. I put the old drive back in slot 0 and tried a garbage collection. That did not work. I moved ahead with the drive replacement, it asked me to move the old drive to slot 3, I did. It told me that was not the right drive, multiple times. I removed that and put a new drive in to replace without using the old drive and it gave me a Control Bus Error

CB OUT 95 00 C6 0F 00 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
CB IN 95 00 C7 20 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

I tried both the old and new drives and got the same error. Is my problem something other than the drive?

No the drive is just gone and it cant read it. You will need to do the drive replacement without the aid of the original drive. Not to sound crass but have you done this before? Do you have the ENG bit turned on ?

Ken Means

"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have."
- Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

I may have rad this wrong but are you saying that you put a new drive in 0 and told it to just use drive 1 as the source right ? if it failed at that point then both the old and the new drive is bad

Ken Means

This is the first time I have done this. I don't know if the Engineering chip has been turned on. I will call Avaya to see if they can tell me but they stopped supporting this in June so I don't know if they will talk to me. To clarify...

I put the old drive back into drive bay 0 before I tried the replacement protocol. The system wouldn't let me garbage collect and I tried to replace without doing that. It told me to put the old drive into drive bay 3 (an empty bay) where it told me it was not the right drive. I then hit Y to replace the drive without using the old drive as a source and it gave me the Control Bus Error in my first post. I tried that same thing with a new drive and got the same error.

It may be that the engineering bit is not turned on and that is the issue, I don't know that. If Avaya will not dial in and turn it on how would I or can I do it myself?

If you get the CB error then it is having an issue with the working drive or the new drive is probably not any good.

You can't turn on the ENG bit by your self so Avaya or some knowledgeable BP will need to do that. It may also be the the alarms just need to be cleared in the stack but i would need to look at the system to determine that.

Ken Means

Avaya told me how to "turn on the engineering bit". At the Boot prompt, hit Ctrl +DD, type "byte 808007b4" to check it. If it comes back with "808007B4 39" type (at the CF_DIAG: prompt) "808007b4=45" then BOOT !

This appeared to work, although on the second or third reboot it reverted. I will see if I can get a third drive and try that. Is it common for the drives to have the same error or could it be the CCF card or something else?

At this point the system is working on one System drive but users cannot revise their personal greetings. There are some phrases missing. Is there a way to get that working again before I get the second system drive working?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back