Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

System doesn't recognize CD Rom

Status
Not open for further replies.

papaduke

Technical User
Sep 29, 2003
US
Attempting to recover from virus. Had Windows 2000 on HP Pavilion which isn't supported by HP. Had to delete large number of files to clean virus. Now can't run recovery disk because system doesn't recognize CD-Rom. BIOS setting are correct. Machine will boot up to password menu then locks into loop asking for password. (No passwork was ever entered.)I think the cause is lost files. How can I activate the CD Rom?

Is this password menu for the BIOS? If so apparently sometimes the BIOS manufacturer will work as the password, such as "award". Or you can try removing the CMOS battery or find the CMOS/password clear jumper. Check your boot order in the BIOS also. If hard disk comes before cd-rom it's not even gonna try the cd-rom. If that's not it and the BIOS is detecting the cd-rom then you can try bootdisks to get to the cd-rom, you may need a custom disk with drivers specific to your drive.

If my memory serves mecorrectly, the BIOS password jumper on a HP pavillion machine is Blue in colour.

"just thought it may help"

I have a similar situation. I have W2K on a PII450, it has worked great for years, now after a power outage my cd rom is missing in My Computer. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You all for your endless help

Sounique,
If the CD-Rom is the only device affected it might be the BIOS settings or simply the CD Rom defected. The power failure...was there a voltage surge, as in lighting?

ImpetusEra,
Thanks for your input. I didn't know about the BIOS password. The password in question was in W2k. But the Access sequence in the BIOS was set correctly (floppy, CD Rom & hard drive). So I pulled the battery out...couldn't see the jumpers you mentioned. Could hardly even see the mother board! Nothing works. What if I pulled the hard drive out and put it in another HP machine, then ran the recovery disk there? Would that work?

Does your floppy drive work. If so and you want to get in to the recovery console then go to Download the win2k.exe file that creates the 4 floppy boot disk. If you want to reset the Administrator password then go to If you need help in the recovery console then just post.

Rich [Yoda]

I am having more or less the same problem with one of the workstations that I upgraded from Windows 98SE to Windows 2000 Professional. Win2K Pro just won't recognize the CD-R/RW drive and the CD-ROM/DVD-ROM drive. It's a PIII 600MHz machine. The floppy drive works fine and you can read files off of it. If I browse Windows Explorer to the 2 CD drives, all I see is "Compact Disc D:\" & "Compact Disc E:\". When I insert a CD into either one of the drives, and try to browse it, all I get is "Please insert disk and retry". The machine has all the latest security patches, upgrades and service packs from Microsoft. I made sure that "Windows Update" was active and working and instructed the user to download & install patches & upgrades from Microsoft every time the system prompts her, and she has diligently done this. She also has the latest Norton Antivirus definitions installed.

Am I missing something ? This one has really got me. I'm so busy in the forest maybe I'm not seeing the trees.

Any help from you guys would be most appreciated.

This is for you USATECH

What have you tried? Have you checked the device drivers?
How are the CDROMs configured - as in are they master/slave?
Are they both on the same cable?
I can probably help if you give me some more info.

I am having the same problem as usatech. But, I get the error code 19. I am also running win2k. I have tried all of the microsoft suggestions as well as the roxio suggestions. I have looked for the upper/lower filters in the register to delete. I have deleted the adaptec/roxio keys from the registry. I have uninstalled/installed the cd rom/rw - physically and in windows. All of the cables are correct. The drivers are correct. The drives come up in the device manager, but with the exclaimation. I am at my wits end and thinking of just reformating my c: drive. Any help?

Alright USATECH and SMELLS, I am the sort of person who thinks along the lines of "If it aint broke don't fix it"

I try to stay away from microsoft updates and service packs until I know there is something in them that I need, mainly because in the past I have found that they can cause more problems than they solve.

My thoughts on you problem are that it either has to do with your diligent updating or there is an IRQ conflict, I have no idea if you know what an IRQ conflict is so I will give a simple explanation.

Your PC has a set amount of IRQ's this stand for Interuppt Request, they are used by your PC basically to judge the priority of the device. However that doesn't mean you should go changing things around to suit what you think should be given more priority. Most of the IRQ's are actually already reserved and used by things like your mouse, keyboard, motherboard functions etc. If the PC has an IRQ conflict then the conflicting devices may or may not work, or might only work sometimes.

To solve an IRQ conflict use your device manager to see if the devices are conflicting and what they are conflicting with, then look to see if you have any free IRQ's, if you are using Win 2000 you can do this by selecting the view resources by type in the device manager.

Some commonly free IRQ's are 5, 7, & 10. Also if you are not using the COM ports you can disable them in the Device manager and use their IRQ's, remember don't remove them just disable, if you remove them they will be detected as new hardware when you boot up next.

Eonspeed,
Thank you for your insight. I have reformatted and all is right with the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back