Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

System disk full: cannot boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

mario51t

Technical User
Dec 10, 2003
US
I forgot to periodically purge the system disk on my W2k workstation, which eventually filled up with motion detected images uploaded by a network camera via FTP. Result: the system cannot boot. I tried to get in with a Linux CD to delete some files, but I cannot modify the file structure. Suggestions? TIA

electronicsfreak's suggestion will do the job. However, if you do not have a second PC then you can try booting from DOS (that is if W2K is installed over FAT32) and delete files from there. If running on NTFS, google a NTFS reader and find a utility that you can access your drive from.

Hope this helps.

BartPE?

(slaving in another machine best if you have that option).

Repair Console would be my first starting point

Take Care

Matt
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I'm out of town for a while, but when I return I'll try BartPE. I have already tried the repair console.

I'm back. I've built BartPE and booted the system from CD. (great tool, btw, though I'd like a few more "management" tools, like disk administrator).

The C drive appears in the A43 "file manager". However, when I right-click/properties, it reports:

File System: RAW (instead of NTFS)
Capacity: 0 bytes (instead of 60 GB)

When I try to do a "dir c:" or a "c:" from the command prompt, I get "Error performing inpage operation".

It looks like the NTFS structure is gone, maybe the partition table got corrupted when the disk got full.

I'm slowly resigning myself to rebuild the system, but if any of you has any idea recovering the disk, please let me know. Thanks,

Have you tried running chkdsk (from Bart - either from command prompt or the option in Bart) - though I suspect it will say the same.

I tried to get in with a Linux CD to delete some files, but I cannot modify the file structure

I wonder if you did some damage at this point.

I'd also run drive manufacturer's diagnostic on the drive in case its failing.

If you want to try to recover data from the disk (assuming chkdsk can't fix it), you'll need to slave it in another system and run a data recovery app (like getdataback).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back