Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

System Console Access

Status
Not open for further replies.

bastardograsa

Technical User
Mar 6, 2003
US
Hello,

I'm new to HP-UX but not to Unix. I was just put in charge of setting up two A500 servers, one with 11.0 and one with 11i. My problem is - I don't know how to get into the box!

There's the DB25 System Console/UPS port on the back as well as the LAN console. I tried to connect to the DB25 port with W2k running Hyperterminal but I wasn't able to get anything even after trying most (but not all) terminal settings.

So my question is, either what are the correct terminal emulation settings for connecting to the DB25 system managment port or is there some default IP address the LAN console uses.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'll assume that you have the Secure Web Console card. If this is true the docs say that if you have the e-net cable connect the serial port is disabled.
the default ip might be 192.0.0.192.

hi,

I have an HP-UX and I connect remotely as root thru telnet and then use SAM aplication to manage the server or locally just type sam.

HTH

Thanks for your posts, but unless I can get into the box (which is what I am trying to accomplish) I can't use either.

I did get the correct cabling information from HP. If you anyone needs to make a cable to get in to the console these are the specs-

PC HP
(DB-9 F) (DB-25 M)
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
CD 1 <----------- 4 RTS
RD 2 <----------- 2 TD
TD 3 -----------> 3 RD
DTR 4 -----------> 5 CTS
|----> 6 DSR
GND 5 <----------- 7 GND
DSR 6 <----------- 20 DTR
CTS 8 <-----|
RTS 7 ------------ 8 CD