Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SYSTEM command wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterG5

Programmer
Apr 29, 2003
IE
Using WebFocus, how can I ensure when calling a DOS command via the SYSTEM command, that sufficient time is allowed for the operation is complete? Is there some way to "pause" the fex until the DOS command has completed?
I'm having occasional problems when the DOS command takes more than 5 or 6 seconds in that a messaage appears saying "There is no response. Do you want to keep waiting?"
This is flagged as a "Focus Message" but I'm not sure whether it's being issued by DOS, Windows (2000) or WebFocus. Many Thanks, Peter.

One of the advantages to using the SYSTEM subroutine, rather than a straight DOS call, is that the SYSTEM subroutine WAITS until the called routine finishes.

I can't find any timer, or indication that WebFOCUS produces this message. If you issue this command from a DOS box, outside of WebFOCUS, does the message appear? When I tried to repro this situation from within WebFOCUS, calling a BAT file with a PAUSE command, it just sat there, no message.

Also, WHAT DOS command(s) were you trying to execute?

have you tried SLEEP 10
which holds focus for 10 seconds
On my windowsserver, i use the CMS syntax instead of the word DOS
CMD COPY someting to somewhere
and i've never had a problem
even tho some of these commands can take a good 10 minutes.

-SUSANNAH

Hi SUSANNAH,

I, too, was a former occupant of the Focus CMS environment. Things were so much simpler there!

Anyway, the SLEEP command does work in WebFocus - but only after the DOS copy command has finished - so it does not really help. I also tried the CMD copy command, as you suggested but to no avail. I have no way of attaching an image file here but if I could, you would see from the the actual copy attempt and the resulting "Focus" error message.

Peter.

Quae vita est cui orbatus est vino?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back