Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

System Center Installation and configuration question

Status
Not open for further replies.

JWP1

MIS
Mar 21, 2005
US
My servers (2 of them)are running Windows Server 2003 Server and arefunctioning as Terminal Servers. I was not able to install Symantec System Center on either of these servers so instead I just installed Symantec Anti-virus 9.0. My clients are running in managed mode and everything seems to be fine.

The question I have is - Can I install Symantec System Center on another server (or even an XP box) and have it recognize the managed server where Anti-Virus is already installed? I want to be able to take advantage of System Center's functionality but I don't want to bring up a new server, un-install A/V, and re-install A/V to do this.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Yes, you can manage SAV quite happily from an XP client.

I do it here.

Neill

Thanks for the response Neill. Is your configuration similar to mine in that SAV is installed on a server and System Center running on XP? Does this also mean you need to leave your XP box running all the time or can you shut it down when you go home for the day or weekend?

Thanks again.

The System Center doesn't have any live information--it gets all the information from the primary server. So you don't have to have it running at all; it just makes it easier to manage the network. You can put it on any supported machine, or multiple machines if you feel like it, and run it only when you actually need to look at or change settings. Think of it as a remote control for your antivirus software.

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back