Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

system boot slowly when i install ML03 on AIX5.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

amalou

IS-IT--Management
Oct 28, 2002
FR
hi
i have installed AIX 5.1 with ML02 included on IBM 6f1 systems and RS6000 43p station but when i have instaled the ML03, whene any one for this systems boot it stop and the screen LCD on the unite for the system display numbre 553
after 3-4 minute the systems contiune the boot.
thanks

i understand that tcb can make this happen. If you are using it, disable and test.

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Unless the LCD codes have changed from 4.3 to 5.1, I think 553 indicates a problem with the /etc/inittab. From the way it is behaving (stopping for 3-4 minutes, then continuing the boot) it sounds like it is timing out because the system can't complete a command in the inittab. Were there any changes to the inittab recently?

Check the output of alog -o -t boot to see if you can see anything from the boot log. (The boot log is a cyclic file -- when it gets to its maximum size, it is overwritten, so the error might not be in the file if the boot log isn't specified as being large enough. You can enlarge the size of the file through smit.)

Hi

I have just come across a patch which fixes the 553 problem.

Look at APAR IY35272 on IBM Fixes for AIX 5L.

If you have an update CD with a date of 02/2003 then this fix should be on it.

Regards

Bladesman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back