Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

system beeps but wont boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbmprods

Technical User
Dec 11, 2002
US
system was running fine till i plugged in a wingman joy stick. the system froze and upon reboot it just beeps. 1 long beep, 8-9 short beeps then a pause and 1 long beep and 3 short beeps. the system has an asrock k7s8x mobo.

Have you tried unplugging the joystick?

"Sometimes I do not know but I try hard"- R.F. Haughty 1923

yeah i did as soon as it happened and rebooted. something else i noticed is thatmy usb mouse stays hot even when the system is shut down. thanks for the reply

Have u tried booting in safe mode?
This could be related to a number of things.
I have another post somewhere which goes through a number of steps so I'll try dig that up and post it here.
Also have you tried unplugging all devices?

i tried unpluging everything and even pulled the memory sticks to see if it had something to do with it but just got the usual beeps for no memory and reinstalled them one at a time and rebooted to have it happen just the same. i know that the series of beeps is telling me whats wrong but i am not familier with what the no. of beeps stands for.

ok i just tried to get it to boot to safe but it just does the 1 long beep 8 short ones then 1 long 3 short and wont show anything on the screen. im almost thinking something shorted on the mobo. but i remember i once saw a list of what the beeps stood for but cant seem to remember where i saw it thanks again.

You can disregard the first five steps.
Troubleshoot a dead PC:
1. Check plug socket with another electricial device to ensure that plug socket is "live"
2. Check power cables and replace with known working one.(if the monitor power cable is working, swop this with the box cable.
3.Check power setting on back of box (I think it reads 240 or 110(depending on region-make sure it hasnt been change), if this has happened the power supply is blown.
4. reseat all connections and parts within the case, memory, hardrive, cables and processor if possible.
5.Try to switch on PC again, Make sure that the actual power switch in the PC is connecting(this may sometimes go wrong ig the case isnt fitted properly.
6.Remove DIMMs, try to power up...any noise or beeps???
7. Replace Dimms, remove harddrive...any noise or beeps?
8. " Remove floppy.....
9.Remove any devices or peripherals in order.
10.replace everything.
11.Are there any lights on on the mobo when its plugged in?
12. Next step would be the processor(u'd be better off if it was the board and not the proc that was gone)
Let me know how well u get on as far as step 11.
JP
PS As per usual ensure u are stacically protected when carrying out this and ensure u take care when dealing with power.

thanks kippy
i'll give it a go again in the morning when im a little rested other wise i might be prone to put some ventilation holes in it from frustration if you get my drift. i did find an article on it that said the beeps could be either bad rom or bad video card. i cant see how plugging a joy stick into it could cause these to go bad but what the heck i've seen stranger. anyway i'll try again in the morning and post back. thanks have a great night

Its 10 am here but I'll have a good day.
Have a good sleep!

Hey mostlikely you just need to check the GFXcard if it is seated correctly... best to take it out and reinsert it, as this will loosen some corosion that may have build up over time (you can also clean the connectors on the GFXcard with a No.2 Pencil eraser...

do also check your Soundcard, if it isn't onboard sound...

Ben

*There's nothing impossible! - Ad-slogan Toyota...

thanks Ben
i'll check that but the system is only about 6 months old. but i'm thinking i might have fried the vid card or worse the mobo. like i said in an earlier post is the optical mouse lights up even with the puter shut down and not running. go fgr huh. any ideas why that would be
thanks take care.

Howdy:

As per AMI BIOS..

1 long, 3 short:
Memory test failure.
A fault has been detected in memory above 64KB

1 long, 8 short:
Display test failure
The video adapter is either missing or defective

Check and reseat both ram and video card..

Murray

hi folks well seems the video card did come loose and was the problem. i pulled the card reiserted it and everything came up as it should. i feel so dumb posting this thread before checking it. thank you all for your help and support. happy new year thanks....jim

jbmprods - don't worry these things happen to all of us once in our lifes... *g

it happened to me that's why I just figured that that was the prob... glad that you got it working... happy New Years to ya aswell...

Ben

PS - please post a star to whomever you wish, whos post helped you the most...

just a follow up on this thread. two days later the video card took a super dump and no reviving it, so it made for some really good target practice. i guess it was telling me to buy a better card next time. once again thanks to all........jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back