Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

System Attendant Mailbox

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 28, 2001
US
How do you connect to the system attendant mailbox to check for specific emails on Exchange 5.5 using the Outlook client?

Where are you seeing this 'System Attendant' mailbox, and why do you think you need access to it?

I am seeing this fail in Veritas Backup Exec due to corruption on particulars emails with in the System Attendant mailbox.

Hi all

Did you get a satisfactory answer to this question. I have an old server that is full and the SA mailbox resource id over 1.5GB - after extensive searching this forum and internet, no-one seems to answer how to get on to SA mailbox and delete messages. Cannnot run mailbox clean as it does not seem to be a RECEIPIENT but a SERVER? - Please help am down until then

try deleting the outlook profile then recreate it on the server.

Go into Private Information Store, Mailbox Resources, and look under System Attendant. There you will notice that you have about 9000+ items and a couple of MB of stuff.. Question is, how the heck do you clean it up or best yet, how do you get into it to see what's there? I have asked and search info on this before and no one seem to know much about it.

Hi All
Thanks for responses, but I finally managed to sort this out.

Here is what I did

1. At the DOS prompt or at the RUN command, execute “admin –raw” under bin folder of the exchange server directory

<drive>:\<server_dir>\bin\admin -raw

where :

<drive> is the system drive where exchange was installed

<server_dir> is the Microsoft Exchange server install directory (usually exchsrvr)

For example, c:\exchsrvr\bin\admin -raw

This action would launch the Microsoft Exchange Administrator screen

2. From the left pane of the Microsoft Exchange Administrator screen, select <domain>. Then in the right pane, select Configuration | Servers | <site> | Private Information Store | Mailbox Resources.

where :

<domain> is the server domain

<site> is the server site.

3. Select System Attendant from the list in the right pane. Then from the File menu, select Raw Properties.

4. The System Attendant Properties screen appears.

Select All from the List attributes of type drop-down list box, and Display Name from the Object Attributes drop-down list box.

In the Edit value text box, enter a name for the System Attendant mailbox. Then click Set.

I used System Attendant

Select Hide from AB from the Object Attributes drop-down list box and then set its value to 0

in the Edit value text box. Then click Set.

Click OK to save the changes.

Once that was done, I used the Exchange client to open the mailbox "System Attendant" - It turned out that in my case the contents were Anti-Virus Client updates sitting in the OUTBOX - even though they had been delivered!! - Anyway I was able to delete them using the client and then after clearing the retention period for deleted items and taking a backup, I managed to free up the necessary space.

Thank you for your help.

Best Regards
Russell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back