Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

System alarm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Infinitive1

Technical User
Nov 13, 2005
GB
Hey guys... I have a P4 3.2GHz System with a ABIT IC-MAX3 motherboard 9800XT graphics 1024mb Kingston hyper X memory. The problem is every now and again when i start my system the system alarm, comes on and goes on continuously even when windows has finished booting. The only way to stop this is to turn off the computer for thirty seconds and then restart it. How ever this doesnt always work it can take several attemps aometimes, do you have any ideas as to why and how to fix this issue?

Thanx

If your system alarm is going off, there may be something wrong hardware-wise but is still letting your machine run. HOw many beeps are you getting? Is it a continuous single rhyth of beeps?

I think you can turn this off either in the BIOS or by going to my computer>manage>device maneger>system devices. There may be an option in there about onboard sound that can be disabled. This may work, but I am not for certain. I would look in your motherboard manual and see how your if your RAM is installed in the right slots. One thing I have noted is that motherboard manuals at times give the wrong information on where to install the RAM(wrong slots).

Hope this was of some help.

Greg Wilson
RFK Technologies
866 837 1007
"What an Information Technology Business Partner Should Be

Would this be the CPU temperature alarm set in BIOS? I recently built 14 computers and originally decided to set the alarm to go off at 50C... which was marginal on some of them. It turns out that 50C was too low... 60C was better and stopped the alarms.

Note: these are seven pairs of industrial P4s @3.0GHz with 15 PCI cards installed, and dual P4 Xeons @2.4GHz with 11 high speed PCI & PCI-X cards installed. These aren't normal PCs, so I don't know what a normal temperature should be.

That would make sense. If I remember correctly I think the average marginal is around 60-70C. P4 systems like you have there can run quite hot. I am glad you were able to solve your problem. That is something that didn't cross my mind. Those look like they could be some pretty hot machine.

Greg Wilson
RFK Technologies
866 837 1007
"What an Information Technology Business Partner Should Be

It would not be the system alarm thats going off. It would not come on if you start your system as the would not get that hot straight away. I had this problem b4 and it was one of my hard drive that was making the noise. (believe it or not but it was).. 1 of my hard drive was failing and it was telling me that lol. What make hard drive you got on your system ? it was one of my maxtor hard drive that was making that noise

Infinitive1
There have been several motherboards that have had initial problems detecting the CPU fan spinning.
Usually cured with a bios flash.
But before doing this I would check that all forms of "fan control" are turned off in the bios.
It could be that the fan isn't turning initially because temperature thresholds are set to activate the fan at a particular point.
Just turn all fan control off (smart fan etc)

Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

I had an alarm going off because the 5th case fan wasn't installed, but was turned on in BIOS. I thought it was just a noisy fan for about a year!

David

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back