Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

System advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Howdy, I've got an AMD Athlon 750 mhz system soon to have 384 MB RAM (currently 128) and a Voodoo 3 3500 graphics card. I was wondering if I could expect some healthy performance upgrade if I got a new video card. Like a high end geforce 3 card. Any suggestions on what card, and could someone offer me some links to information about improving system performance and stuff like that? Thanks

Well adding ram and replacing your video card will speed up your system a bit but not hefty as for links I'll have to leave that up to you....but here's one yah and if your getting a new video card...go with the ati radeon 8500.

Your 384 MB ram should be more than perfect to do the job. As for your video card, if you get a GeForce 4 Ti 4200, you will see this video card stay on top in performance and quality for many years to come. The Ti series also include DVD playback, HDTV signal, many 3D features at a price of around $150-$180 as of 7/20/2002. One word of advice though, in order for your video card to do its job, you need a fast CPU. The cpu is the one that feeds the hungry video card with the data it needs. You can have the best video card in the world and still get terrible performance if your CPU is not providing the data fast enough for the video card to render. An AMD athlon or Pentium 4 (No celerons or durons) above 1.7 Ghz should be good enough to get the job done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back