Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sysprep question

Status
Not open for further replies.

yipster

IS-IT--Management
Feb 21, 2005
US
I want to automate my windowsxp deployment. I made a sysprep.inf file which will automate my install. Before running sysprep and ghosting a image where do I drop the sysprep.inf file?

much thanks

Hello,I would not be able to contribute to your question but I am hoping if you could kindly let me step by step process to create images, I know how to create ghost images, and deploy ghost images, but dont know how to create WinXP images. Any help is appreciated. u may mail me at harishps@hotmail.com
Thanks

I created a sysprep.inf file in the c:\sysprep\ folder and after running sysprep it shutdown the computer upon turning on the computer it still ask for my product id and other info which I entered in the sysprep.inf file. Currently the computers does not have any floppies but it has a network card and usb flash drive.

You need the entire SysPrep folder from the Win-XP CD.
Also note that the SysPrep files changed between SP1 & SP2, so be sure to use the same version you're deploying.
(We got bit by that one...)

I hope this helps!

did that...I extracted the whole deploy.cab into c:\sysprep directory. I then ran sysprep with no option and just selected reseal. Should I check mini setup??

It's worth a try.

I'll check my instructions at work and post pertinent details here.

Here is a copy of my WORKING sysprep.inf file. Note that this only works with Windows XP Open Licence Program copy. If you use any other copy (MSDN, Retail or OEM), you will be forced to register with Microsoft or enter a new valid key according to the type of installation. BEWARE: THE CODES are not TRANSFERRABLE from diffent TYPES of install, in other words: OEM cannot unlock MSDN and so on... the codes are specific to the type of installation. Also, if you try to package an OEM copy, you will be forced to register with a valid key before even being able to enter Windows (after the trial period has expired from the day you installed it)... so... I suggest you find/buy/use an OLP version, as they do not need to be unlocked, you do not need to enter codes during the install and you are legal....When I seal it, I select Mini-Setup and PreActivated

;SetupMgrTag
[Unattended]
OemPnPDriversPath =Drivers\IBM\
DriverSigningPolicy = Ignore
Unattendmode=FullUnattended
OemPreinstall= Yes
TargetPath=*
Filesystem=LeaveAlone
OemSkipEula=Yes
OEMSkipWelcome= 1
AutoActivate = No
UnattendSwitch = Yes