Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sysprep problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

azladytech

IS-IT--Management
Aug 4, 2000
US
OS is Windows 2000 Pro, large global enterprise network .... After running sysprep in preparation for image upload, I've noticed that some network settings, such as appended DNS suffixes, Wins settings, etc. don't always get saved, yet sometimes they do. Has anyone else experienced this problem and/or do you have any advice/info on a fix? Also, for security purposes, we need to set the default screen saver to come on after 20 minutes, as well as making other changes to the desktop, but this also is removed during sysprep. I have found that if I create a fictious user, make him an admin, make my changes and then copy his profile to the default user profile, I can fix some of this, but I would like to hear suggestions or comments from others who have run into these problems about other profile-specific settings that sysprep removes.

Why not modify the answer file to include the DNS/WINS settings. I think you can also set the screensaver settings there to. If not, use a GPO to control the screensaver.

Hewissa

MCSE, CCNA, CIW

hewissa is correct the best way is to control as much as you can through Active Directory's Group Policy Settings.
just about all desktop settings can be specified through GPO (Group Policy Objects) and DNS Suffix. You can't set WINS but I don't know why you would still need to use it.

hewissa and menlopark is right.
Use GPO and answer files insted.

Only use sysprep if you have one computer you re-install ofen. Like a publik computer in a conferance room.

Chanches made with Sysprep is per computer and can be modefyed by the user.
With GPO is the setting more dynamic.

// Wibbe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back