Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Syslogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkMan

Programmer
Apr 13, 1998
US
I'm having a problem with the syslogs constantly filling up in a database. I've checked out the settings and when I dump the logs, it says I have 30 megs for the log size, and 29.96 megs free space, but, the database throws off an error that says it is full and to dump the log. Once I do truncate the log, everything works fine, for a while, at least.<br>
<br>
Anyone know what is going on here? Is it possible that there is something being thrown into an infinate loop or something? I do have somewhat complex triggers in the database. Or is there a possibility that I've not thought of? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.<br>
<br>
Thanks.<br>
DarkMan

In SQL Enterprise Manager, Edit the database, click on options and ensure the "Truncate Log on Checkpoint" is checked.

If your database is set to back itself up regularly it should clear out the log. I have had some problems in the past on 6.5 with pages being left uncleared - fix with a regular 'DBCC Checkdb'.<br>
<br>
Selecting "truncate log on checkpoint" should only be used if you don't mind going back to your last backup should anything fail. If you are running a production database (e.g. a company's order system) you would want to be able to restore to the nearest half hour.

In addition to dumping the log on checkpoint (provided you are using full database backups, rather than incremental log backups...), a second measure we take on a daily basis with each of our databases to groom the log is to run the following code for each db:<br>
<br>
/* Cleanup logs */<br>
<br>
use master<br>
go<br>
dump tran whatever_the_dbname_is to diskdump with truncate_only<br>
go<br>
use whatever_the_dbname_is <br>
go<br>
checkpoint<br>
go<br>
dbcc sqlperf(logspace)<br>
go<br>
dbcc checktable(syslogs)<br>
<br>
The dbcc commands "correct" the log information, which often is the "problem", rather than the log being filled up. <br>
<br>
Regards, madsam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back