Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

syslog.conf logging to remote host

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnwright007

Technical User
Nov 11, 2002
GB
Hi all,

I'm currently editing one of our syslog.conf files to send messages of a certain nature to another machine on our network. I have done this but I'm not entirely sure what to do next.

The logs entered into /var/adm/messages are also sent to another machine and placed into the same directory. What I want to do is place the logs on the remote host somewhere different such as /var/adm/rmtmessages

At the moment, I have duplicated the lines and added a destination of @localhost. Is there a way to specify a certain directory on the localhost to receive the messages?

All help appreciated.

John

I don't think you can do it with the plain solaris syslogd, as it only categorizes messages by "facility.level". If you send kern.err to a remote machine, you'll receive it there as kern.err, no matter where it came from. You may want to have a look at syslog-ng, which can do things like /var/log/$HOST/$FACILITY

Thanks for the response. I thought this may be the case but thought I should check it out.

Best thing is use syslog-ng.
But you will be able to split your messages separated by the hostname in files like messages.hostname if you run the following script in the background.

tail -f /var/adm/messages | while read a
do
x=$a
host=`echo $x |awk ' { print $4 }'`
echo $x >> ${FILE}/messages.${host}
done

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back