Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sys(0), FoxPro 2.6 and Novell 3.2 help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

lisaz

Programmer
Aug 23, 2000
US
I have a FoxPro 2.6 application written for a client. In the startup program I use sys(0) which grabs the machine name (ex. PJOHNSON). This way I can add the user to the record when they modify the record. I then know who the last user was to modify a record. Recently this feature stopped working for one user.

This user when automatically logged into the network, his user name is no longer available for sys(0). All the other computers work. Obviously, some setting has changed on his machine. My client called her novell consultant, who looked at their machines and came up clueless. I've poked around, but am not a Novell expert. This has worked for years, and am clueless to why it would suddenly stop.

Any thoughts?

Lisa [sig][/sig]

Compare the SHELL.CFG or NET.CFG files on that computer or for that user with the ones used by others; there may be a MACHINE= or some such setting that is missing on the one. [sig]<p>Robert Bradley<br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= - Visual FoxPro Development</a><br> [/sig]

Thanks for responding so quickly. I search one of the computers that works for shell.cfg and net.cfg and did not find them. I found shell.inf, shell.dll, net.msg, and net.inf, but not the ones mentioned.

Lisa [sig][/sig]

Lisa, its been three years or so since I've worked with Netware, so my memory may be a bit hazy; I'm certain, though, that we solved the problem by adding a parameter to either the SHELL.CFG or NET.CFG.

But here is a possible workaround:
put the following command in the LOGIN script:
MACHINE=&quot;LOGIN_NAME %STATION&quot;

[sig]<p>Robert Bradley<br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= - Visual FoxPro Development</a><br> [/sig]

or try removing all MACHINE variable settings from the login scripts [sig][/sig]

shell.cfg is an optional file ... you can create it in your login directory [sig][/sig]

This is the weirdest thing. We called in the Novell expert and he could not find a login script ( on any of the computers). He said it must be a generic one. I looked around and couldn't find one either, but I'm far from an expert. This is so frustrating because 4 computers work and 1 doesn't.

Thanks for all your help. If you have any ideas where a login script could be hiding, please let me know.

Lisa [sig][/sig]

Lisa, does the one that is not have a different operating system? [sig]<p>Robert Bradley<br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= - Visual FoxPro Development</a><br> [/sig]

ASSUMING you are using Window9x,NT,2K.
Start > Settings > Control Panel > Network > Identification.
Check the Users Computer Name.

[sig]<p>David W. Grewe<br><a href=mailto:Dave@internationalbid.net>Dave@internationalbid.net</a><br>[/sig]

Both machines appear to have the correct computer name entered. I thought we had it this time, as we have not tried this. It almost seems that something on the one computer must be corrupt. I'm clueless at this point, thanks so much for all your help.

Lisa [sig][/sig]

The login script is located on the Novell server normally. [sig]<p>Mike Wood<br><a href=mailto:mikewood@mpwonline.com>mikewood@mpwonline.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br> [/sig]

Have you checked the protocols used on each machine? The culprit may be the ipx/spx compatible transport protocol required for sending the machine id among other things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back