Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Syntax error or acess violation

Status
Not open for further replies.

krisboy

Technical User
Mar 4, 2002
AU
Hi there,

I hope someone can help me here as this is driving me nuts...! Ok - I have an application which calls stored procedures from two machines:

1. Windows 2003, SQL 2005
2. Windows 2003, SQL 2000

If I call the stored procedure on server1, everything works ok. If the same stored proc is called on server2, I get the "syntax error or access violation" error reported. As far as I can see, I have the same setup in DTC permissions on both machines and the user running the stored proc is DBOwner. I feel like I have missed something simple and this is taking WAY too much time to sort out so can someone please help?!

By the way the stored proc contains a query running a simple select statement (not even any parameters) - and is most definitely not a problem. Additionally, the query can be run fine from query analyzer.

May be a silly question, but can you execute the stored procedure from the server 2? Not the query in SP.

Hmmm - yes I could execute the SPO from Query Analyzer on both machines, but this helped me find the problem! It turns out that I was enclosing each SP call parameter in brackets [] in Query Analyzer, but not in my application call out. Usually this wouldn't matter, but my remote server2 has a "-" character in the name, which SQL isn't too happy with, hence the syntax error. Once I had included the brackets in the app call out, it worked fine. I knew it would be something simple (perhaps me in this case) - thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back