Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Syncronization 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

chad4828

IS-IT--Management
Jul 8, 2003
US
I have a database in Access 97. I made it replicable and made a replica at our branch server in a different city. Every day before I go home I have to manually synchronize them so they get our changes and we get theirs.

Is there a way to automate the synchronization process to occur at a certain time of day?(Ie. Such as maybe a command line parameter?)

chad - windows comes with a "Scheduled Tasks" option in control pannel ... this may do the job for you.

Other than that.. sql server 2k comes with a similar tool (if you are using that).

Either or, just get it to open up your database.. and on open run the code you want!

HTH's

Is it not possible to have both databases pointing to the same source using linked tables.

I do this for some Access 2000 databases. I have a database which links to a table in another database from where I can treat it like it is an internal table. Is it possible for you to house the data on a central server and just have the 'front-ends' at individual office's. That way you don't need to worry about synchronisation.

MrBelfry

I use this code to syncro 3 databases and it works fine.
with scheduled tasks I make this form open at night to run the code.
I hope it helps you

Dim dbs As DATABASE

Private Sub Form_Open(Cancel As Integer)

Dim strdbname As String
Dim strsynctargetdb As String
strdbname = "L:\database1.mdb"
Set dbs = DBEngine(0).OpenDatabase(strdbname)
strsynctargetdb = "L:\database2.mdb"
dbs.Synchronize strsynctargetdb, dbRepImpExpChanges
dbs.Close
DoCmd.Quit

Antonio

The code worked magic. Now I can update automatically. Thanks!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back