Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Synchronizing Windows password in Novell environment

Status
Not open for further replies.

cismaxz

Technical User
Jan 17, 2003
US
Is there an easy way for a user to keep passwords synchronized on a Windows server in a Novell network without using Novell's Account Management? Our situtation is we have one NT server running an application that will not run on Novell. But our users need to change their passwords every so often. How can I synch the Windows passwords to change when they change their Novell password? If Account Management is the only solution do you need admin rights at the root of the tree to install it and how difficult is it to get set up?

it's a 2 minute setup - just make sure you dont put a replica on the nt box and that the nt box is getting it's time from somewhere - preferable from one of your netware servers - so all is in sync

you would need supervisory rights as you need to extend the schema.

there was another couple of products that would do it but never used them cand ant remember name

is it for a lot of users

No, it is only for about 25 users.

There is also a product called DirXML. With this product, Account Managers days are numbered. It will syncronize all directory objects between both NDS and AD (and quite a few other databases as well).

If you do not use ZENWorks, you can use a standard AD Driver. A user license runs about 12 dollars.

If you use ZENworks, you will need to use the Advanced AD driver for DirXML. When you buy ZFD, you get a DirXML license with (last I checked).

Be sure to download the latest from Novell. There will be an update to the Advanced AD driver soon. I had found a bug in it and have been working with Novell to get it fixed. I just installed a new stylesheet that corrects some placment rule issues, so the public should be getting this update was well in the next couple of weeks.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
Brent Schmidt Certified nut case [rainbow]
Senior Network Engineer

problem with this is - question states nt
dirxml will not sync to nt4
is the way to go though

i'm sure there was a third party freebie that would be fine for 25 users but cant for the life of me rember the name

Thnaks for the info. I can upgrade that box to 2000 or 2003 server so that is not an issue. I guess DirXML is the way to go. We are getting ready to go to Zenworks Suite also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back