Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Synchronizing System clocks through logon scripts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dgoldswo

Programmer
Jan 9, 2001
US
My boss got tired of people being late to meetings and demanded I synchronize everyones system time so this won't continue to happen. Is there a script level command to do this when a user runs their logon batch file>

There are some things you can do for this. FIrst would be to establish a time server in your network. Then you could have all your workstations use the time server for getting the time.

Of course this implies some things. First that your time server, usually a PDC in NT4.0, is keeping accurate time. Also that it is setting it's time off an accurate time server. The naval observatory is usually used. This also means you need to have your firewall allow the access out for the time updates.

If this is to much and all you want is everyone to set the same time to their clock you can run the net time as a logon script and set the time to a specific server that your boss feels is accurate. OF course if someone changes the time on that server.... "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
Arthur C. Clarke

Mike
MCSE

I have applied the following command line to my log on script and attempting to pool the time from my server to better sync the clocks on the workstations out on the floor
net time \\servername /set /y

My problem is that the users without Admininstrative rights to their local machines will not have their clocks updated. Is there a way to allow standard users the ability to change their clock time and provide them with this administrative task via a script, and have the rights returned to the user level.

I have used the same in my logon scripts. On NT workstations (and Win2k Pro) add the user to the local (on each workstation) poweruser group, then they are permitted to set the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back