Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Synchronizing S8700 Time with a Network Time Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

PBXJR

Technical User
Aug 29, 2007
US
S8720-013-01.2.632.1

Our time on our phones need to match our computers but I was told if synchronization with an external time source is enabled, do not use the time/date page to adjust the time after the server is in operation. (Time changes greater than 15 minutes will disrupt the synchronization with the NTS and NTP will shut down.)

What steps would I use to set the time on the S8700 Media server?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

go to the "Maintainace Web Page" on EACH server, launch "Configure Server", click "continue" (twice), click on "Configure individual services", then "Configure Time Server" is the next to last entry.

Mitch

This is so easy and does not interupt service.

Go to your web page and go to maint

Then go to Server Configuration and select Configure Server

Hit continue on the next screen you select Configure individual services

Then select configure time server

select Use these Network Time Servers and add the ip of the server you want to get your time. Do this on all of your processors. If you do not use keys select Do not install a new keys file hit change and you are done.

When I launch "Configure Server I got the following message.

Warning! "This server appears to be the ACTIVE server. Continuing the process busies out this server and the duplicated server (if present) becomes ACTIVE. This server will be unavailable for telephony during the configuration process."

Will this be service effecting? If so I should probably wait until late at night?

Nope, no worries. I have done it many, many times. just don't go changing any IP Interfaces, and you will be fine.

Mitch

K will do, Thanks guys for the help!

PBXJR,

Did this busy out your server when you tried.

Just wondered?

Regards,
lever

It did busy out the server and the duplicated server became active, however it was not service effecting for the end users.

I followed all the steps but the time did not change on the phones?

If it went to the duplicate server it is only because you didn't check "Configure individual services". I have done this hundreds (service 500 + s87xx) of times and it is not service affecting.

You may have to reboot the servers for the NTP to syncronize. I've had to reboot loads of S8720 servers especially if they're running CM 3.1.2

Just a note about 'configure server'

you can veiw all the individual services in theses pages then just close the window without it affecting the server but if you save any changes it will busy out that server while it makes the changes.

one to bear in mind...make sure the dup link is ok or in the case of S8500/8300 ..DONT DO IT until out of hours.

Configure individual services --- is the key. Don't select anything else and don't change anything else.. just NTP. As Mitch672 and G3rguy mentions... it will not interchange.

Thanks,

Wildcard

The issue was a firewall setting on Port 123. Once it was enabled on both the Primary and Secondary Servers the time synced with the network time server.

Thanks for the help and direction!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back