Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Synchronized Continuous Forms

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 7, 1999
US
I have a main form with two subforms, each of which is a continuous form that refers to a subset of records. I want the flexibility of continuous forms over datasheets in order to haandle fancier headings and formatting than datasheets would offer.

I can easily synchronize the sub forms to a main form in order to show particular records. What I want, however, is to be able to synchronize the two continuous forms, so that when I go to a new line in the first subform, the current record in the second subform changes.

Why would I want to do this? In order to create a frozen set of columns (first subform) and a horizontally scrollable second form.

Suggestions, please!

Thanks,

John Harkins

Take a look at the Form.RecordsetClone method, Form.Bookmark property, Recordset.FindFirst method, Recordset.Bookmark property.
You may consider doing the two subforms synchro in the OnCurrent event procedure of the 1st subform.

Hope This Help, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ222-2244

I'll take a look a little later.

I'm just a little confused, since I thought that by doing the find's and all that sort of thing that my second continuous subform would reveal only a single record. What I'd like, just to restate and belabor things is to have a kind of "spreadsheet" that shows all the records from the selection criteria (sometimes just one or two records, although it could be zero and in which case a diagnostic would be issued, to many hundreds of records). The "spreadsheet" is comprised of two parts: a fixed (or "frozen" to use Excel's parlance) portion that will appear on the left-hand side of the screen and implemented through a continuous subform. On the right-hand side would be a second continuous subform with horizontally scrollable data. The real trick is to synchronize the two subforms. Can it even be done do you think?

Thanks!

John Harkins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back