Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Synchronize Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 25, 2003
US
I can synchronize the time on my data router to an external source, and have a script run on all workstations that retrieve accurate time after each logon.

Is there a way to synchronize the time that a Definity provides its stations?

If you have one of the new MultiVantage servers (S8300 or S8700) you can synchronize the time to an external source, but not with the G3 R, si or prologix.

IPSI

The time displayed on the stations is the Definity time. You can purchase Multi-Location Software if you have stations supported in different time zones and want the local time displayed. You can synchronize the Definity time to the PC time via Avaya Site Administration (ASA). I would highly recommend synchronizing the PC time to a reliable time source if you choose to do this.

Caveat: it may be better to synch the Definity time with the Audix time. I've run across some a___-retentive users who have complained about "2 minute and 20 second" time difference (they must have sat there with a stop watch). A continuing synch to the PC time may drive the Definity out of synch with Audix and cause more nuisance issues than you want.

Should have proof read the first post for clarification... there is not an auto time synch between Definity and Audix; but once done manually, they should stay synched.

CommDude
A definity Audix might stay synched with the definity.
The definity time will stay pretty close.
An Intuity audix is notorius for not keeping time.

Thanks for all the input, still have a couple questions though..

When synching time using the ASA, do you use the wizard under faults & performance? If so, what does this synch time with....the PC running ASA?

How does one go about setting the voicemail time (intuity audix)?

You have to use the SA login
Then select
Customer/Services
Sytem Managment
Unix Managment
Unix time and date
That will get you there....

The Audix time is as good as the system (processor & clock) it's running on; may be good, may not be. Bobg1's way is the only way I know of to set the Audix time. There may be an auto sync somewhere, I've just not used it.

Regarding the synching of Definity to PC time, yes via ASA Fault & Performance - Time Synchronization. It does sync to the PC running ASA. Consider the accuracy of the PC & potential fluctuation in its clock with respect to the type of environment your in. If you have A LOT of CMS activity, resetting the clock may skew call stats. Skewing stats isn't too likely unless the PC clock is way off and you're synching many times a day; point is just consider what it is you're trying to accomplish and if it fits into the business environment.

Thanks Bobg1 and CommDude for the valuable information. I am able to set the audix time no problem, however when I schedule (using ASA) to run a time synch with my PC, I get a "blocked" error and status "Waiting for connection".

I have no IP filtering, or abnormal network security settings setup on my PC.

"Blocked" and "Waiting for Connection" means that you're running an active session. Close the window that is using the connection and the Time Synch should run without any problems.

Susan
Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer. - Mark Twain

one important note about the time sync, under asa. If you are running an older version of asa/dsa <1.10, you will have a problem with the bulliten board message. The sync will not get past the message and get hung up. They fixed this in the newer versions of asa. Also under the sync wizard if you plan on doing the sync at night (most notable to a bunch of switches) make sure you check the &quot;disconnect from system after task has been processed?&quot; box. If your on a modem, this will keep the modem tied up and will not process an other time syncs set to run.

We have thirty different switches in different time zones and I learned both these little nuggets of information the hardway!

RTMCKEE

Thanks again to all for your help in resolving this issue...I found that I must have asa set to automatic login for the time synch task to complete successfully.

gb

I have version 1.0.15 of DSA and I do not see the time syncronization option. Am I just missing it?

I don't have version 1.0.15 of DSA but in ASA it is located under "System>Fault & Performance>Time Sync..."

In the future everything will work...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back