Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Synchronize Outlook at two different computers

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeRoMaX

Technical User
Dec 11, 2001
CA
I was wondering if there is any way to Synchronize pst files or mail on two different computers. My boss is going on a trip and will be using his laptop and he wants his mail exactly like his desktop. And when he comes back the mail that he wrote on his laptop is to be the same as his desktop. I know I can just copy the pst file over from the laptop to the desktop but want to see if there is another better way.

Chris

while i do not know what a pst file is, i am wondering something else... if he is networking in from his laptop to be able to read / write / respond to email on his desktop - would they not automatically look the same? or will he not be networking in while he is away?
(i swear i am not as dumb as i may sound sometimes... i just hate to answer something and be on a completely different chapter than everyone else...) ShannonLea
Computer Coordinator 4 Surgical Services
Athens Ga
[noevil]

A pst file is where all your mail is stored in outlook. He is bring his laptop to travel but wants his mail to be the same as his desktop. So when he travels he replys to mail but wants those replys to be on his desktop as well.

Chris

In outlook I think mail is stored in OST files and it is only things that you move (physically or using archive) that reside in personal folder (PST) files.

If nothing is going to change on his desktop while he is away (eg emails arriving, secretary maintaining appointments) then simply saving everything in a PST file and copying it back to the desktop would work.

You can also IMPORT from one PST file to another ot to the OST file, with options to avoid impoting duplicates BUT that could effectively undelete emails he had tidied up or archived while on leave.

There is a better way. My organisation uses it. Search for Synchronise or Synchronize in outlook help. It may depend on things like your network environment, whether you use exchange server (no I don't really know what that is either!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back