Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Synchronization 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamie23

IS-IT--Management
Mar 8, 2004
GB
I'm looking for a solution to backup "My Documents" to a local server.

I just want a program (free preferably) that will synchronize "My Documents" or any other folder in my computer with another folder in the server (mapped to a drive letter) only the first time it copies everything
from then on it just copies modified/new files and it is capable of excluding a sub folder from the synchronization process (like My Music).

Thanks

Jamie

What is your local server running? You may be able to utilize the folder redirection capability of 2003 server if in fact that is what you have as a server.

i've got windows 2000 server running so i guess that what you are suggesting would not work....

Thanks anyway

It's not free but i'm looking into Veritas's Desktop and Laptop Option for Backup Exec. We have a desgin group here and some of there files are a few hundred meg so they save them to there local computers rather then the server. If anyone else knows of any other products that can do this please post it

Mike

Mike,

I have exactly the same issue as well as having people that use laptops all of the time. Thanks for the information, i will have a look at that product.

Jamie

That could easily be done with a script using xcopy.

Just my $0.02

"In order to start solving a problem, one must first identify its owner." --Me
--Greg

Thanks SuperAmit your post was very helpful.

robocopy can do a mirror also. This would enable you to delete folders from the master and see that action mirrored on the server area.

it is in the res kit and will produce logs of activity etc.

No Pain No Gain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back