Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Synchronization Manager 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhafer

IS-IT--Management
Mar 14, 2001
US
I just inherited a new network running a Windows 2003 AD
environment with all the workstations Windows XP Pro. One
of the cool features they have setup is with the user
profiles.

There are two folders: "my documents" and "desktop". When
ever I copy something to my desktop, it moves it to the
networked "desktop" and replicates it back to my pc's
desktop. Same if I do something in the my documents
folder. After doing a bit of research, this sounds like
something managed in synchronization manager, but it is
not. None of the folders are offline folders, but you do
see a small replication icon on the lower left corner of
any file that's been replicated.

If anyone can point me in the right direction on what
this is and how I administer it I would be greatly
appreciative.

Regards,
Ben

By default, Windows XP caches redirected folders.
Folders that may be redirected include:
Application Data
Desktop
My Documents
Start Menu

But I guess my question is how do I manage this? I cannot find any information on how it was setup and how to administer it.

Regards,
Ben

Click Start, point to Programs, point to Administrative Tools, and then click Active Directory Users and Computers.
Right-click Domain, and then click Properties.
Click the Group Policies tab, click Default Domain Policy, and then click Edit.
When Group Policies starts, click User Configuration, click Windows Settings, and then click Folder Redirection.
Right-click Desktop Folder, and then click Properties.
You can now configure the location of the Desktop folder. In the Settings box, click Advanced - Specify the location for various user groups, and then click Add.
Click the Browse button next to the Security Group Membership box, and then click a group from the domain list.
Click Target Location Folder, and then use a UNC path to the location where you want the Desktop folder to be located.
Click the Settings tab. By default, both of the following settings are enabled:
When enabled, the Grant the user exclusive rights to Desktop check box sets permissions on the folder for the User and System to full permissions. If you click to clear the check box, no change is made to the permissions on the folder.
When enabled, the Move the contents of Desktop to the new location check box moves the contents to the new location. If you click to clear the check box, then the contents remain where they are.
In the Policy Removal box, click either Leave the folder in the new location when the policy is removed, or Redirect the folder back to the local userprofile location when the policy is removed. By default, the first option is selected.
Click Apply, click OK, and then quit Group Policy Editor.
Log off the administrator account, and then log on again.
After the user logs on again, the Desktop folder should be redirected to the new location.

Very good information! Thank you!!! Unfortunately, there are no items in the respective Folder Redirection sections, so that's not how this perticular network is setup.

Very frustrating . . .

Regards,
Ben

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back