Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Synchronising Sub Reports 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeRBS

IS-IT--Management
Apr 15, 2004
GB
I am trying sub-reports for the first time and can't see where you connect them.

Roughly I have a main report say Country, City. I then have two sub reports say City, Customer and City, Supplier. All three work ok separately.

I drop the two sub reports onto the detail section of the main report. The whole thing runs but as yet is disconnected. So I select the first sub report and it shows the Linkchild/LinkMaster fields ( I suppose in Properties - I don't remember) and when I select the ... it gives me City and City as the suggested connectors. Looks promising.

Now I go to the second sub-report and I cannot find anywhere where these fields are. I go back to the first one and now can't find them there either.

Any idea what determines whether these two properties appear? Or are they hidden somewhere non-intuitive?

Both sub reports are written in the same way and ordered on the 'City' field although it is not displayed.

In case this is relevant it's Access 2002 and in fact there are three subreports.

Hi
Yeah. Very confusing. The link child field and link master fields appear when you select the box that contains the subform, not when you select the form within that box. Click on the rim of the subform, or choose it from the dropdown list of controls on the toolbar.

Oops. For form read report. The problem is the same for both subforms and subreports.
(ps If your subreports had not already been created, the wizard would have sorted this out with you.)

I've sorted this out. I got a clue from looking at the Viescas book where he tells you to open out the controls a bit. Once you do this you have fighting chance of getting the right one out of several million mode combinations. As Remou implies, the control bundles itself, the surrounding report, the inner subreport and individual fields within the inner report. Only one of these offers you linking fields.

It still takes five minutes fiddling about with the mouse but with patience you will get there.

Hi
You can skip the mouse and use tab, or choose the control from the dropdown list of controls on the toolbar. Much easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back