Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Synchronising databases automatically

Status
Not open for further replies.

waggers

Programmer
Sep 7, 2000
AU
I am trying to determine the best way of automatically synchronising databases using SQL Server 7.0

We have three servers all using the same database - one is used for development work, a second is used for development and pre-production testing and the main machine is the production server.

Is there an easy (and safe) way to synchronise the development servers with the databse on the production machine?

I am aware that I can use backups and restore to the other machine, but I am looking for a simpler, automatic type method.

Thanks in advance

Waggers

I too want to know the answer to this one. I currently use the back up and retoring method across 4 servers. I wish there was an easier and quicker way. It takes up production time and valuable network resources. Any advice out there?

Christine

I'll jump in here and say replication.

The biggest potential drawback is the processing drain on your production database. There is a matrix of options (push vs. pull subscriptions, immediate updating transactional or snapshot, etc.), so you can probably find one that imposes the least overhead.

From what I can gather from your requirements, snapshot replication (i.e., once a night) would probably be best for you.

Robert Bradley

Robert,

I'm still using 6.5. I've heard and had nothing but bad experiences on replication in 6.5. Any insight/advice on this?

Christine

Sorry, but I've never used 6.5.

If you need both foolproofishness and automation, could you create and schedule a batch/command file that backs up the data, copies/FTPs it to the other machines, and invokes a restore on them?

Robert Bradley

If you don't have do have them synchonized frequently (once a night), you could consider bakup/restore. If they have to be synchronized frequently (like 10 times a day or whatever), then I would implement transactional replication.

Tom

Thanks all,

I will take foxdev's advice and look at snapshot replication as it only needs to run once a day for out purposes and the servers are currently not under any pressure during the 'wee dark hours'.

Good luck with your efforts, christine1

waggers

waggers, how are you going to go about it? I don't have nearly as many servers but enough that we really need synchronising across the board. I don't know where to begin. Let me know how it turns out.

Christine1

Christine brought up a good topic: so many folks here have solved various SQL Server challenges, it would be nice if, once a mountain is climbed, they would make a "tip" post on how they did it. I certainly could learn a lot from other's accomplishments.

Robert Bradley

Hi all,

I agree with your comments about sharing how it is done.

I am still reviewing this subject and when I have decided on how to implement it at this location, I will pass on my experiences.

It won't be quick as my boss has got me doing other things first and I'm doing this as I can....in the meantime it is being done using backup / restores (not the best but at least it works)

waggers

Sure would appreciate taht waggers. Good luck to you in your endeavor and keep us posted.

By the way I too have to use the back up and retore method which weighs down the network tremendously anytime I have to copy a file across it.

See ya,

Christine1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back