Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Synchronise your watches!

Status
Not open for further replies.

maff

MIS
Jul 5, 2000
GB
Visit site
Is there a way to syncronise the clocks on all client computers from an NT 4.0 Server either when they log on or from a command line on the server?<br><br>Also, when a user deletes a file on the server through a mapped drive on his/her workstation it doesn't go to thier local recycling bin, so where does it go - if anywhere? This may be a really silly question, but its bugging me...<br><br>Any answers would be accepted with relish! <p>Matt ffolliott-Powell<br><a href=mailto:maff_ffolliottpowell@yahoo.com>maff_ffolliottpowell@yahoo.com</a><br><a href= Arts Institute at Bournemouth</a><br>King of the wild frontier

Hi<br><br>If you have a login script, you can use the set time command to have PC's take the time from the server.<br><br>When you delete files from a mapped drive, they just disappear unfortunately.<br><br>Bobb<br>

In a login script or startup batch file on the workstation do <b>net time &lt;\\server&gt; /set /yes</b> to set the time. (Another option is <b>net time /DOMAIN:&lt;domainname&gt; /set /yes</b> which will automatically locate the PDC and synchronize with that.)<br><br>Recycle Bin only works for local hard drives.&nbsp;&nbsp;When you delete files from a network drive they simply float into the bit bucket.&nbsp;&nbsp;Only recovery is from you backup tapes. <p> Jeff<br><a href=mailto: masterracker@hotmail.com> masterracker@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br> Of all the things I've lost in life, I miss my mind the most ...

For you deleted files on mapped drives, Check Executive Software Undelete program. It saves files deleted on the domain to it's local recycle bin even when done remotely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back