Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Synch stopped working

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCOSLiz

Technical User
Jan 17, 2003
US
I have a Palm 505 that works fine, but has stopped synching. It charges fine, but there is no connection with the PC when it has been working fine for months. I have one of the cradles that isn't supposed to have a static problem (has an E onthe bottom). I have also noticed that the soft "hiss" it used to make when connected has ceased. I also tried synching with a second cradle to another PC on my network which also doesn't seem to allow the synch to happen. I am assuming it is a problem with the contacts on the hand held....any suggestions short of buying a new one. The contacts look OK.

Do you synch to the Palm Desktop? I lost synch with my Handspring and both my desktop and laptop after months of no problems. I tried several "settings" fixes but nothing worked. Reinstalling without first uninstalling Palm Desktop corrected the problem. But I still don't know what went wrong in the first place, and why it happened on two machines at nearly the same time. By the way, if you can, download the latest version of the Desktop. The interface is quite different but more useful (IMHO).

I have a Handspring, as do many of the users in the office. Problems with synching have been narrowed down the following:
a) if you use the AvantGo web conduit service, you might need to go to their website and update your info; and download the latest version of the conduit.
b) User account conflict. Someone accidentally set up two accounts and for some reason it caused an issue with synching. Once we deleted the unused account, it seemed to work fine
c) Soft reset. We had a user who simply wouldn't synch with the cradle at all, and had to hit the reset button. Fortunately, it only required a soft reset so she didn't lose any of the info on the handheld. In the case of a hard reset, i believe it wipes out everything and you only get what's been updated on the Desktop. if you're going to try the Hard Reset, make sure any of your info from the handheld is dup'd on the Desktop so that you won't lose it.

hope this helps, ang.

DCOSLiz
The palm 505 and 515 have an issue where the USB chip is not sheilded enough from static discharge. I have a 505 with the same problem. Palms solution is to either send you a refurb. 505 or another USB cradle, which you already have (E on bottom of the cradle). I didn't want one of the refurb. units because sometimes they come with other problems.

The solution that I found to work is to go out and buy the serial cradle for the 505. It will sync a little slower, but the serial chip is unaffected by this problem.

I have been using the serial cradle for over 6 months now with no problems.

Have had the same problem w/2 515's now. After the first fiasco Palm sent a new cradle and serial connector. Finally sent a refurb unit which worked fine for about 3 weeks. Stopped synching again. have gone over to using the serial connector, accepting the slight reduction in speed and using the original cradle to recharge. Seems more than slightly ludicrous hat Palm hasn't had the foresight to fix the issue and start sending refurb units with a better shielded chip.

I had same problems with my M500.
While on a congress I tried to sync my m500 with the old craddle. I had several system dumps on that day.
Afterwards the palm worked but didn't synch any longer, no matter wich craddle or PC I used. I really thougt this one is lost.
I've then got another m500 from my former coleague and worked with this for a while (but this one had problems with a screen drift).
After a month or two the one that didn't sync was totally unloaded. So I put him back to the craddle to load him.
After this "very" cold reset I curiously pushed the sync button et voilá it worked, what a miracle.
So I guess that there was a problem with static overload somewhere on this palm.
Try it out, unload the battery or just leave the palm for several weeks to unload itself and any statical load.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back