Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Synch Jornada 720 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeD2

Technical User
Mar 31, 2003
FI
Hi,

I am using Sidekick 98 with XP.

I want to synch my contacts on a Jornada 720.

I downloaded the TrueSync CE files from:
I tried installing both of them, TrueSync CE 2.0.267 when it tried to install only gave me options for REX.

The other, TrueSync CE 1.09 was recognized by Microsoft ActiveSynch bit said that there was no supported device.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Mike

hawkdaddy,

Sorry but I could not find any information on that HP page that helps.

Thanks,
Mike

I don't know if sidekick can become a source for your device but do know that I have been unable to get it to work with a usb plug.

hawkdaddy,

I do have Microsoft ActiveSync installed and it works just fine over USB but TrueSync CE doesn't work.

Thanks,
Mike

by the way it was sidekick that I could not get to work with a usb plug.

Hawkdaddy,

Maybe the USB is the whole problem. Too bad I don't have any serial ports anymore..

Thanks,
Mike

hawkdaddy,

I don't think that will do anything for the HP Jornada.

However I bought a Palm Vx and I did get the synch to work with that. I used a seial to usb adapter and changed the com ports to match like it says on that link you give under:
>Having problems using your USB adapter?

Thanks,
Mike

Mike
I am confused. (Don’t worry this is a common condition). I thought that we were working with newer handhelds that either had a serial (9 pin) connection or came only with a usb connection and computers that had only usb connectors.

On the one hand if your computer had a serial port it was quite easily solved by a connecter/adapter that would transform the serial port female to a usb port female.
Since the program was set to send and receive data to that com (serial) port the, problem would be solved.

On the other hand, in the case of the non-existing 9 pin serial port there was no way to get the program to recognize the usb port as a serial port. The question as I see it is: How do you redirect data from a com port to a usb port?

I know that there is a simple command line command to redirect printer information to a usb port from a parallel port, but I have not been able to find a way to do the same for serial ports.

The link I saw is the first to suggest that this can be done. Their cable is a usb male from a serial female. which suggests that their driver redirects.

From reading earlier posts, it seems that The TrueSync that comes with Sidekick 98 and Sidekick itself only works with com ports. Later versions of TrueSync which supports usb ports dropped support for Sidekick.

Does your computer have a (9 pin female) serial port which you adapted your usb equipped palm to? If not is your Palm serial based and adapted a usb port ? Does the Palm software allow backward compatibility to com ports, does it redirect? Did the Jornada have a serial connecter?

Sorry this is so long. If you can explain without investing too much time I would appreciate it as I find it difficult to let things go. I am glad your problem was solved.

Tom

If the new palm uses buletooth, I think I understand.
Tom

hawkdaddy,

>NewestShareware.com Issue #263Does your computer have a (9 >pin female) serial port which you adapted your usb equipped >palm to? If not is your Palm serial based and adapted a usb >port ? Does the Palm software allow backward compatibility >to com ports, does it redirect? Did the Jornada have a >serial connecter?

The Palm is serial based and I adapted a usb port, The Jornada has a usb connection but won't sync.

The software I'm using to synch the Palm is not the Palm software but the Sidekick software.

Mike

Thanks Mike I am no longer confused (this is a temporary condition). But in looking at this issue it appears that Windows XP will allow backward compatibility to com ports for handhelds that can link either through blue tooth or infarred. However I cannot confirm if a usb infarred reader would allow a connection for hot sync to SK 98. If any one can confirm, that would be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back