Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sync time with time server

Status
Not open for further replies.

smuthcrmnl777

Technical User
Jan 16, 2006
US
I have a bunch of computers that are networked bound, but are not bound to a domain. My problem is that every once in awhile, the time on the computers are off or they slowing change. I would like to do a simple net time /set /yes, but the "/set" does not understand where the time server is. I then tried the net time /setsntp:IPADDRESS HERE and this said it was completed correctly. However the time didn't change.

What could I do to make it so I can sync the clocks to the time-server?

Double-click the clock in the Notification Area (used to be called the System Tray), XP now includes a tab for syncing with an Internet time server. You can specify any NTP server there and your clients will stay synchronized as long as you're allowing NTP through your firewall (TCP port 123)

These are mainly for Servers but there are snippets of information concerning Workstations which are not part of a Domain.

How to configure an authoritative time server in Windows XP

How Do you change the frequency of a Time Synch
thread779-815568

The computers in question can not connect to the Internet Time. It does not prompt me my username and password to connect to the Internet. What can I do so it is able to connect?

Try enabling NTP on your domain controller, and then point to it with the Internet Time on your clients using the DC's IP address.

I do not have access to the domain controller. I only have access to the computer I need to update. I think I can get away with having one of my computers act like the time server and I will periodically monitor this computer to make sure it is up to date. Can someone point me to the right direction to how to set up a computer as a time server?

Go to this article "How to configure an authoratative time server in Windows 2003 Server"
I know it does not sound as if it will be useful to you but it is a comprehensive article on the Time service. In it you will see how to manually configure the client, the time server(not necessarily a domain server)and also to have the time server use its own internal clock as the time source.
I am part of a very large network that blocks the NTP service for security reasons. I was having trouble with my little part of the network. A number of the computer's clocks were "drifting" and then they would have trouble logging onto my domain because of the time differential, a kerberos issue I think. At the bottom of the article are links to other articles that I believe were helpful (It was a while ago I did this). Don't let the fact that the OS is different stop you from looking at them.
There are a lot of registry changes so you should back that up - that article is here (I needed this at that time so just in case you do...) It's a process but now it works like a charm!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back