Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sync time to an web NTP server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mober

Technical User
Jul 23, 2008
US
I have a small Windows AD network, with a time issue. Over the span of a few months my time is slightly off this is not enough to cause problems with Kerberos but it does have me worried about drifting time from the outside world. Is there a way I can get my primary domain controller to sync with a web NTP server for the current time? Thanks in advance.

I'm assuming if I do not go out and buy a third party program I can just use the w32 time command to sync a ntp server periodically from my PDC?

There is no need for 3rd party software. The PDCe role is designed to manage time. Configure it for multiple NTP servers (in case one is down). Block NTP traffic at the firewall for all addresses other than the PDCe and your time source. Workstations shouldn't be getting time externally.

Pat Richard MVP
Plan for performance, and capacity takes care of itself. Plan for capacity, and suffer poor performance.

My workstations are getting there time from the PDC. The problem is the PDC does not have an external source to make sure it is accurate. Based on the documents I've read I can add a NTP server to the PDC's registry is that correct?

My workstations are getting their time from the PDC. The problem is the PDC does not have an external source to make sure it is accurate. Based on the documents I've read I can add a NTP server to the PDC's registry is that correct?

That's correct. If you search this site, you'll find a slew of threads discussing this, including some examples that may help.

Pat Richard MVP
Plan for performance, and capacity takes care of itself. Plan for capacity, and suffer poor performance.

Mober, the link I just posted has instructions on how to do this via DOS commands, not the registry.

Thanks,
Andrew

[smarty] Hard work often pays off over time, but procrastination pays off right now!

Thanks for your help I should be able to handle it from here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back