Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sync error with iPaq Pocket PC 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 27, 2003
US
I have a user that gets the following error when she tries to sync an iPaq Pocket PC on a Dell Inspiron with WinXP. "WCESMgr.exe - The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000142)"

This error doesn't happen all the time and doesn't seem to affect the syncing.

MS website offered little help.

I've got a user getting the same message on a Compaq Evo running Win2K. Five months after this thread was created, there's still nothing on the MS website about it. It doesn't appear to interfere with anything. Any help would be appreciated.

Correction: It's a Compaq Armada M700. Interestingly, the only time he gets this error is when the iPaq is connected to the laptop while it is undocked.

Hey AppleMan,

Did you ever find a solution for this problem? I am having the same problem on a Dell Latitude running W2K with Service Pack 3. It just all of the sudden started happening. Let me know if you have anything. Thanks.

Welcome to the family !

This is a serious problem in many installations. At my job we have several servers, which suddenly for a period of time have this problem. It's all kind of applications (incl. cmd.exe) that fails to initialize.
Search for 0xc0000142 on google, and you will get an idea of the magnitude of the problem.

Microsoft does a *lousy* job here.

As far as I know, there are several variant's of this error.
There are some registry settings that might be able to cure the problem (Didn't help us though).
This link is one of the most informative I have found : Unfortunately the description of the registry content doesn't match our servers 100 % - only 2 parameters are described, and our Win2K server contain 4 parameters.

Another registry hack can prevent the message box from popping up (Which is a disaster in a batch environment).
It won't solve the problem though.

/JOlesen

I found another thread out there that specified what my problem was for this. Information Systems (where I work) auto updates our AV program which is Symantec Anti Virus. When they did this last update it put us at version 8.0 which for reasons known to Symantec prevent various applications from starting, one of them being Active Sync.

The work around for now is to stop the Symantic AV service, start up Active Sync, and then restart the Symantic AV service again. This works for those to whom this is pertinent.

The thread mentioned that Symantec is currently working to fix this problem. I hope this helps.

I have incountered this very problem. We have seemed to have found a fix for this. Our Problem is coming from Norton 8.0. We just recieved the 8.01 and tried on a few of the systems with the problem. So far it has corrected the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back