Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sync cdb database with Mdb database

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeroanarchy

Technical User
Jun 11, 2001
AU
I am having problems trying to sync an .cdb file with a .mdb file both have a form called HHreg but I can not get them to sync. I know when I first got the Pocket PC there was an option somewhere to Autosync the data but I can not seem to find it, can someone point me in the right direction.

thanks

Zero Anarchy

In the Active Sync program click the "Options" button (upper right). Then you see a Pocket Access line near the bottom. Single click it to highlight it. Click the "Settings" button lower right. Then look at all the options.

Also click the "Tools" menu then "Import Database" and "Export database" DougP, MCP

Thanks DougP, yea I had a look at this option and it does not work quite as well as one would hope, instead I have created peice of VB script that uploads and downloads the data everytime you place the handheld in the cradle. Took a bit of time to develop but it works a treat.

Thanks again for taking the time to look over this.

[afro]ZeroAnarchy Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake
when you make it again.

So let me ask you this?
Do you have eVB code for opening and Access database.

Do I need to put a ADOCE .dll file on the Device.

I get this error:

An Error was encountered while running the program. Active-X component can't create object 'CreateObject'

Any ideas
DougP, MCP

Sub viper_weed()
Dim cn, rs
Set cn = CreateObject("ADOCE.connection.3.0")
cn.Open "My Documents\weedmanagerdata.cdb"
Set rs = CreateObject("ADOCE.recordset.3.0")
rs.Open "HHreg", cn, adOpenKeyset, adLockOptimistic
rs.AddNew
rs.Fields("parkcode") = "parkcode"
rs.Fields("weedname") = "weedname"
'get page control values
rs.Fields("parkcode") = application.map.layers("viper_weed.shp").Forms("EDITFORM").Pages("Page1").Controls("park_ID").Value
rs.Fields("weedname") = application.map.layers
("viper_weed.shp").Forms("EDITFORM").Pages("Page2").Controls("cbx_type").Value
rs.Update
' 'Close connection and recordset
rs.Close
cn.Close
Set rs = Nothing
Set cn = Nothing
End Sub

In relation to ADOCE it should be already registed on the device if not you will have to register it to do this give me your email address and I will send you a copy of the registration program for updating the registry on your handheld. Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake
when you make it again.

Also I had an Access database on the device then I did a hard reset and now it's not there. But I can't seem to get one back on it. Any ideas?

Copying does not work, I get an error could

The remote procedure call failed.

Any ideas? DougP, MCP

Do you have msn messenger? It might make this a little quicker for you. Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake
when you make it again.

PS here is my email
dposton@barcodeone.com
DougP, MCP

Ok an email is on its way to you inc, is a copy of activesync and also the CE reg program.

In the mean time
- Check to make sure that Active sync is on the handheld
- Check to make sure that both versions of Active sync are the same version.
- Goto my computer, and have a look to see if "mobile device" is available if not then it looks like your windows version has not yet picked it up. in this case you will have to "add hardware". If "mobile devices" is there see if you can access it.

Let me know how you go.

[afro]Zeroanarchy Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake
when you make it again.

My Computer shows up Mobile Device and I can open it and see the folder on the device.

How do I know if Active Sync in on the Device?
It does syncronize files.

But... IN the Active sync on the PC desktop Pocket Access is on the Mobile Device column but on the Desktop Computer column it says Not installed. How do I install it?
DougP, MCP

PS you have to Zip anything you send me.

I have Windows XP and Office XP Developer and nothing gets through Outlook 2002. DougP, MCP

goto start on the drop down menu you should find activesync as one of the programs, if not it is not installed, if this is the case the program comming through now should solve that problem, if it doesnt you may find that you are missing the update from the handheld manufacture.
If it is on the handheld and it is still not working check the following
goto Mobile device -> My pocket PC -> Windows
And check to see if the following files exist.

adoce30.dll
adocedb.dll
adoceoledb30.dll
adosync.dll

Let me know how you go

The files are zipped and on there way.
[afro]zeroanarchy

Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake
when you make it again.

Back to your original question Zeroanarchy,

I had to add this file in the \Windows folder on the device for the Pocket Access to sync
adocedb30.dll

Here are the files I have for ADOCE 3.1
adoce31.dll
adocedb30.dll < needed for Access to sync
adocedb31.dll ????? not sure about this file
adoceoledb31.dll
adosync.dll
adosyncstub.dll
adoxce31.dll
msdadc.dll
msdaeren.dll

regsvr2.exe < this is loaded on the device too
It is used to register the above .dll files.

Run it and key in the .dll to register. NOt all of them will register. I just tried them one at a time, some did register some did not.

Hope this helps
DougP, MCP

Hello Zeroanarchy, I am having the same problem as DougP including the error &quot;Remote Procedure Call Failed&quot;. Is this because I don't have any ADOCE files on my CE device? Where might I locate these files? Is there something else I might be missing?

Thanks for the help, Neil

naes ok I found when I first installed installed active sync I could not get anything to work, after several attempts of installing it finally worked.

check to see if the mobile deveice is listed in My Computer.
if so try an open it and check to see if files are in it.
Check to see if the above files that Dougp has listed are on your mobile device.

That should give you a start.
[afro]ZeroAnarchy Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake
when you make it again.

The mobile device is listed and I can open it and view the contents of the device but none of the ADO files are listed in the Windows folder.

Thanks

Hello ZeroAnarchy, just an update, I copied those DLL's to the device and the MDB to CDB worked. I am now receiving a message indicating &quot;There is no application associated with 'x'. Run the application first, then open this file from within the application. What application do I need to open CDB's? This is a WinCE 3.0 device and I guess does not have Pocket Access.

Any help is greatly appreciated, Neil

naes the answer to your question is, you can not open a CDB file on your handheld all you can do is send the data to it, bit like having a front end and a back end, the handheld has no program to open a front end,but you can still send data to the backend using source code. bit like VB its there but you can not see it.
[afro]Zeroanarchy
Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake
when you make it again.

Hi,
I'm having a similar problem I've installed eVB 3 & the PPC2002 upgrade, I get the same error message

An Error was encountered while running the program. Active-X component can't create object 'CreateObject'

when the following line executes;
Set ADOConnection = CreateObject(&quot;ADOCE.Connection.3.1&quot;)

I think I need to register the ADO Control 3.1 control, but haven't got a clue how to it, could abyone help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back