Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Symposium newbie and symposium 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

akoebbe

IS-IT--Management
Jul 7, 2005
US
I know what you're thinking. Yes, I know the Symposium Server 3.0 has reached EOL, but my company can't shell out the money to upgrade. Here's the deal:

My company moved buildings 4-5 years ago and aquired the Symposium 3.0 server from the previous tennant. We have never implemented the server, until now. We've put in a request to our provider to help us get it configured for our needs. The question I have regards the client.

Since we obviously can't use the web client, what is the latest version of the Fat Client that will work with symposium server 3.0? And where can a get the client. Our clients are on wither 2000 or XP.

I know I'll have many more questions. Thanks in advance.

--Andrew

Hi,

Your vendor might be able to hand you the latest client.
This is version 04.01.07 Rev. 6.3
This one can be installed on an XP machine without any problems. You have either allow all Nortel applications to be able to connect to the server or you have to disable the internal firewall (you will be prompted for each app.)

Be sure that you do not install any patches after SU10C, as the changes in the later versions are not compatible with your server version.

Awesome. Thanks for the patch warning.

Ok. Got our NT4 symposium server up and running.

I've installed 4.01.07 on my xp machine. When I try to connect I get this error message:

"The database table([NBServices]) contains no record."

We have another NT4 machine working as a client useing the packages client with server 3.0 and it works just fine. Any ideas?

Is the patch you mentioned a server patch or client patch? And where can I tell what patch we are on?

Thanks.

--Andrew

Ok nevermind that message. I forgot to restart the client computer after install.

I get a login prompt but I get a message that says "The client is not compatible with the server."

I need some help here.

--Andrew

Do you have a Symposium Call Center Server, or a Symposium Express Call Center Server?

Do you have SU06C by any chance?
If so try to de-install SU10 and install SU06 on the client.

You're going to need to help me out. I'm really, new to symposium. Are those updates to the client or the server? And where would I locate that information?

Thanks.

Currently, I've just installed the SCCS Client 04.01.07. I'm assumeing that the SUs will show up in Add/Remove programs. Is there a place I can download the updates?

SCCS 3.0 has its own version of the client. You cannot use SCCS 4.0 client on a 3.0 SCCS. That's why you're getting the error you're getting about client not compatiable.

This is the ultimate question. Is there any SCCS client that will run on windows XP and connect to a SCCS 3.0 server?

That is the end question.

No, as SCCS 3.0 was way before XP was out and any updated patches to support XP was never released due to the fact that 4.0 was being release and 3.0 was being MD and 4.2 soon came after that. There was a Product Advisory Bulletin back around the time frame when XP was released...that kind of detail the the reason for non XP support.

I understand the official Nortel stance on the issue. I was just curious if any one had any experience with the situation or a workaround. If all else fails we'll get some NT4 virtual machines going and load the client up on those until we upgrade to SCCS 5.0 (or 6.0 if it takes that long)

Does anybody have experience with this situation with either success or failure?

You can try, a bare XP machine (just the oem load of xp) no SP and you might have to do some registry hacking...once you get the client to install, you'll have to run the client in compatibility mode...

I've watched our IT guys played around with this and I've seen them reinstalled more PC/laptop than actually get one to work properly. The closes I've seen a working 3.0 on XP is everything will function except for RTD, reports and user configuration...which kind of make the installation pretty much useless.

Good luck

Hi,
There is a client CD software meant for win2000/XP OS.Speak to your distributor.

Unfortunatly my distributor does not know what version that would be. Do you know a version number that will work on XP for SCCS 3.0 server?

I know I'm a bit late, but I have only rejoined this forum. I look afgter 2 sites. One is running SCCS 4.0 and the other is running 3.0 we are using SMI client 4.01.07 on XP machines.
Some of these machines needed some jigery pokery with sybase but my laptop installed fine.

I hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back