Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Symbol PDT 6846 programs

Status
Not open for further replies.

thevillageinn

Technical User
Feb 28, 2002
US
I hope this question fits the category closely enough.

I recently received a PDT 6846 when a friends company was consolidating their warehouse operations and closed some branches.

Unfortunately I'm not any sort of DOS programmer and am at a total loss when it comes to writing a simple program to allow me to scan our code39 inventory labels, input a count and (optionally/ideally) set a value as to whether I need to print a new label or not for that item.

I've found a few software companies who are still offering licenses to their programs (like MCL-collection and Teklynx) but thing is we've (I've) got no money to buy a commercial or special product for this scanner. I'm not trying to integrate this into any sort of complex system. We just keep track of the inventory on Access. Plus I've already got a working wedge type scanner so this PDT would just help to speed the inventory process along and eliminate rolling the laptop all around the warehouse.

I've been all over Symbol/Motorola's website to try to find sample programs in any of their Dev Kits but haven't been successful...yet. Which is why I'm here.

Does anyone have some sample programs for the PDT 6xxx series? I only want to do batch transfer.

Many thanks-
-Dan

We use Wavelink, but just email Symbol, they were helpful for me a few years back when I asked for functionality of the Control codes.. I think I even spoke on the phone with someone and as far as I know we don't have an agreement with them.

The Gun series is PDT6800, we still use some but I don't configure them so I can't give you specifics... but below is some of the info I saw on the boot screen....

Thanks for the info about Wavelink. I'll see what I can do with what's available there.

I keep meaning to try Symbol (motorola) but each time I get distracted by some other issue and put this on the back burner.

Hi there,

Are you still having issues with this. We have a PDT6846 program setup which may be of use which can reprogram PDTs' for a wireless environment within 15-20 mins

I'm able to communicate with the PDT with no problem. Load firmware, programs, download scanned data, etc.

The thing I'm stuck on and have essentially given up on is that I can't quickly, easily and in-expensively create a program to run (on the PDT) which will allow me to scan a location barcode, scan a product barcode and then enter a quantity and set a flag as to whether or not I need to return to this product for some other reason after I download the inventory info to my computer.

It's like 4 fields but I have no money to pursue a programmer or pre-written software.

Hi there,

We've done it by communicating to a SAPConsole Service via telnet. It has a set of screens that it sends back to the RF Device prompting for input such as quantity, (once the barcode has been scanned in).

Not much help of you dont have a SAP Server :(
I think such a setup is documented if you can search.

Good thought, and I'm sure it worked well.

Two things about that idea don't work for me.
1. I don't have an SAP Server
2. I don't have good wireless coverage through my warehouse - even though it's small and I haven't been able to get my PDT to communicate wirelessly anyway.

Thanks for the input though.

Please steer me in the right direction.

We are currently using Symbol PDT 6846 Scanners for scanning our inventory, and verifying orders being shipped.

The application software is on our server. The scanners are communicating via telnet using Wavelink 3.94-16 terminal emulation software. The access points are Spectrum 24 11mps. The server is a windows server.

I wish i could tell you more, but i am the end user, and I am trying to find a solution to my problem, so i can get the programming guy to fix it. He seems to have no clue.

Everything is working fine EXCEPT when errors are found our application recognizes the error and sends a message that we can see visually on the scanner, however we have yet to figure out how to trigger the audible alarm on the scanner to notify the user of the error.

In our environment the user is not looking at the scanner after each scan.

These units are so old I am having a hard time finding any information at all about them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The scanner is running some program which needs to be modified to beep based on what comes back from the server when the barcode isn't matched. The process for reading a barcode is probably similar to: squeeze trigger --> barcode is read and info sent to server --> server responds and sends confirmation to PDT --> PDT displays result.

I don't think it's an "easy" fix but I don't know much about the programming for these units. (Only that I'm not capable of doing it.)

This PDT runs DrDOS so your programmer will need to be able to adjust and compile a DOS program (you do have the source code right?), which he'll then need to put into the PDTs memory and verify is being loaded when the PDT powers up.

I have various PDFs and SDKs which are freely available on the internet which explain a good bit about the PDT.

Thank you for the response :)

From what I understand of the process the entire verification application is running on the server, and the PDT is merely acting as a dumb terminal connected to the server via Telnet so we can see the process as it is happening. I am also being told it is a one way communication, where the application accepts the data from the PDT, and processes it, however it does not send any information back to the scanner if an error condition exists.

Having used an application similar to this in the past with a Unix server and Intermec scanners, I do seem to remember a small program being loaded into the scanner in order to trigger the audible alarm, when an error was found.

I do know the operating system on the scanner is some ancient version of DOS, so I will try to find some info on DRDOS.

I may be oversimplifying what i think might be a solution... but i am thinking if i can find out what the programming command is to trigger the audible alarm on the PDT, I am halfway there, and the other half would be how to get the application to send that command back to the scanner when an error condition exists.

What is really confusing me, is it seems as if there are 3 sets of software that are coming into play here. The Application on the server, the Terminal Emulation software (WaveLink), and whatever DOS program there is on the PDF, if there is one.

Your best solution is probably to (re)train your users.

The three levels you mention are correct. The PDT terminal is a small hand held computer which uses DOS as it's Operating System - some programs are loaded at boot - what they are or how they interact with the server is the part that's specific to your application/use.

Who originally programmed the PDTs and set up the whole system? They might be the ones to contact with regard to getting the PDT to beep.

Retrain users?

These guys want to go back to using the PDT in batch mode, because the alarm doesn't work in the current configuration.

Like I said.... the application works, the communication works, however the programming guy doesn't know what the error command is, or how to send the command that triggers the alarm back to the PDT.

Unfortunately i do not have the source code to the program we used for batch mode. And no one seems to know who the 3rd party company was that programed it over 10 years ago.

I looked through reference guide for the PDT to see if i could find it, but there really isn't any information in there other than the basic how to use, and how to care for stuff.

I am stumped.... I know this technology has been around for quite awhile. I would have thought i would be able to find more information than i have managed.

If i do find it eventually i will post what i find. Thanks

The info you are seeking is likely in one of the SDKs for the PDT terminals.

I think i found it. The script command to make the scanner beep, how long to beep, and how loud to beep is all here.

Wavelink Telnet Client
Scripting Commands Library.

Now i have to wait to see if the guy that programmed the application on the server can incorporate the command into his program. If not i will likely have to get him and the guy that configured the telnet client, and the terminal emulation program together, to figure it out.

I have my fingers crossed this is going to be an easy fix.

http://www.wavelink.com/orders/files/wltn-cl-script-201008182.pdf
Dear All,

I'm ina similar situation to thevillageinn as I have also received a PDT6800 devices with the 4 station serial commucatior dock.

My problem is I can't get the XP OS to recognise the hardware.

I have talked to SYMBOL and they said that since the warranty on these parts have expired a decade ago, and that I'm based in the UK, it'll take a week or so for a new contract/warranty to kick in if I buy it now.

I've been two days on forums and the Motorola/Symbol website scouring for information / drivers / software, but everytime it tells me to get a zip-drive / floppy drive and install the driver, which is not an option for me.

I do apologise for my ignorance, but I would like to learn, and I have a deadline to finish stock-take preparations for my new business by Saturday evening.

I would really appreciate any help you guys can provide. I would like to be able to connect to the terminals using the dock and just upload a simple programme to be able to do a stock take...

Apologetically

Jinxnz

UPDATE: The serial port settings were wrong and the parameters were incorrect as per the manual. I've now successfully flashed and installed the lwp11.hex file into the terminals...

Now what do I do collect data onto the terminals and transfer it onto the PC? Do I have no choice but to use a wedge to put it into .txt format or is there a solution to have it laid out in location numbers, and itemised data within sets of locations to be transferred onto a spreadsheet?

jinxnz,
You need to load a program onto the PDT in order to use it for your stock take. The lwp.hex and the like are not enough to get you going.

I had contacted these guys about purchasing their program, but I don't have the money to do it. Barcode Datalink in Australia. (scroll a little way down for info on the PDT offerings)

There are many other companies which have offered or may still offer software for relatively simple stock-takes using the PDT machines.

Good luck, hope that helps.
-Dan

Thank you tvi.

Just wondering how much they quoted you for the software? I have a limited budget but if I could buy it perhaps I could share the software with you.

Thanks for your quick reply

Does anyone know of any off the shelf software we could purchase that runs on a windows platform that would recognise and provide the program required for the terminals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back