Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Symantec Service Framework has encountered a problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

jleites

Programmer
Mar 1, 2003
US
I'm using A/V 2009. I've been using it for nearly a year, and today I started get a popup error window (Symantec Service Framework has encountered a problem). After I close it, Symantec is gone from my sys tray, and I assume not working. I can't open it without rebooting. The it happens again. Any ideas?

I guess it's academic now. I did an uninstall/reinstall to fix it. It was kind of weird, after I closed the "send report or close" pop up window (I'd have to do it twice), then I had to close "sending report" pop up window twice, then Norton would show up as a new program in the Start Menu. But it wouldn't launch.

jleites,
You may find that the problem is not solved. I had the same problem which seems to have started after Norton did a major update that even created a new shortcut icon on my desktop. Norton AV loads ok on startup but after awhile I receive a ccsrvhost.exe application error and NAV shuts down. In the error dialog an instruction is trying to address memory location "0x00000000" and the memory can't be read. After uninstaalling and reinstalling and running live update the problem came back with the updates. Norton's site says they are aware of the problem but give no ETR.

Your right Gregg, the problem came back this afternoon. I went to the Symantec Community forum, and found I was not alone. Symantec has fessed up, and apparently fixed it now. Their web page provides instructions to download the uninstaller, run it a couple of times, and reinstall. However they sent me a "hotfix" which so far is working.

I have seen the info about the hotfix but haven't been able to find it. Can you direct me to the right place. The reinstall didn't work for me.
Thanks, Gregg

Got the fix this morning. So far so good. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back