Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Symantec notification popup AutoProtect disabled, but its not

Status
Not open for further replies.

mseaman

MIS
Dec 20, 2006
US
10 min after the system is booted up, a notification pop stating Auto-Protect is disabled, but it is not, according to the settings. The service is started. Any Ideas? Nothing from Symantec on this issue.

Several ideas come to mind here. You might still have an older version of Norton installed on your system that is confusing the rest of the software. You might want to look into that. Another thing that could be happening is that you have a corrupt program. I don't know what version of Norton you are using (hopefully not 2006). You might have trouble uninstalling the program. If you do, Symmantec has a "semi-decent" program called the "Norton Removal Tool." Give that a try and I hope you don't run into the problems that I had getting the stupid program off of your computer so you can reinstall it.

I downloaded Norton Removal Tool but when I ran it, true enough it detected the current version of NAV which has to be removed through Add/Remove Programmes in the Control Panel. Apparently it requires me to unistall NAV v10 before running Norton Removal Tool.

I do not get much joy in trying to remove it through Control Panel > Add/Remove Programmes because it returns a "Fatal Error during installation" message.

Anymore ideas on how to tackle this monster?

Regards,
SeisaT

If you find out, let me know. When I try to install Norton 2006 onto my PC, it fails and uninstalls itself. I wish I had never bought the stupid thing. A friend of mine hooked me up with Symmantec Enterprise. That program runs fine. The best thing is that I get free updates with it too. If this program fails me, there is always AVG. Never again am I paying for virus protection!

Hi Clintblack,
Check my response as well as more info under my thread in this Forum titled "Symantec Antivirus Client is disabled". Hope that solves your problem.

Rgds,
SeisaT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back