Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Symantec Ghost & Compaq Proliant DL360 G2 Help 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

VictorySabre

Technical User
Feb 14, 2002
CA
Hi All,

I hope someone may have a solution to this problem. I have a Compaq ProLiant DL360 G2 1U server and I need to make a bootable DOS diskette with network access to allow me to make a Ghost image to be stored on a network share.

I had no problems creating one for the previous ProLiant DL360 model, but this new G2 unit with the NC7780 10/100/1000 NIC card is bugging me.

I have tried downloading Compaq's Gigabit NIC drivers SP19761 and edited the protocol.ini file with no success. I have also added in the "NODE" entry and "SLOT" entry in protocol.ini with no success. I also tried disabling the 2nd NIC and repeated the above with no success. Basically during the reading of the disk, it reports that a PCI LAN Adapter could not be found. The NIC does work as I it works in Windows 2000.

Does anyone know what drivers I am supposed to use?

Thanks,

Ed

Actually, and I am sure that you won't believe this as I had a hard time believing it myself, the Dell drivers for this NIC work extremely well. We have not had any problems since we installed the Dell drivers.

Hi all,

With regards to this post, I need some help in creating a network boot disk to allow me to connect to a network share and then ghost the image to there.

I'm using ghost ver 7.0 and need to ghost my HP DL380 G3 server. I've got the broadcom drivers and using the ghost peer-to-peer method it seems to function fine, except that I want to put it on a share, not use ghost listening servers etc.

Any help appreciated,
loopster

Based on all the hardwork from this forum I was able to solve a Ghost imaging problem for my unique situation:

Symantec Ghost 7.0
HP\Compaq workstation D530 SFF
Images stored on a server

Original drivers from Broadcom (B57.dos Broadcom) allowed me to save the image but not download images to other systems. Downloading the image stopped at 5-25%.

Key fixes:

Dell site for Broadcom drivers:
The driver package name is BCOM_LAN_66_DOSUtilities_A04.exe. You need to search for the file name "BCOM_LAN_66_DOSUtilities_A04.exe" to find and download it.

Change switches,in GHOST Options:

I was having a similiar problem pulling up an image from an HP D350S to our Ghost Server. It would freeze about 25% of the way through.

I tore my hair out looking for a solution, and tried just about everything. Finally I found this site and took the suggestion of using the Dell drivers which have been mentioned here, and that did the trick.

Thanks to everyone who posted for their help, and if you are having a similiar problem, before you try anything else, try the Dell drivers to create a new Boot Disk.

TFK

I found this thread because I was trying to image a DL380G2 using Altiris and was getting horrid speeds (5mb/min). No matter what I did:
Intel Universal NIC
q57 driver
q57 driver w/hardcoded linkspeed & duplex

...it was incredibly slow. Finally I changed the port on the swith to auto/auto instead of hardcoded 100/full. It picked up to 350mb/min.

I can't say I understand what went on here, but I hope this may help someone else.

First of all thanks to everyone elses comments in this thread. It helped resolve an issue with Compaq D530 SFF workstation, with the various links and thoughts. Just to pass on similar help

Fault:
Norton Ghost 8.0 would hang and/or give an error when the mouse was moved. (Sometimes giving Stack overflow error - changing stack info in config makes no difference).

Machine:
Compaq/HP D530 SFF (Broadcom Gigabit network card)

Bootdisk:
Barts Bootdisk (Standard - no mods, just B57 driver added)

Resolution :
Changing EMM config - no change
Using Ghost Switches - no change
Disabling USB and SATA controller in BIOS corrected the issue. After Image is written, reboot machine and enable USB and left SATA disabled (no requirement).

Hope this helps others as it does appear to be an issue. Changing IRQ's may help as well, but happy to have the ghosting working.

Regards
Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back