Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Symantec Ghost & Compaq Proliant DL360 G2 Help 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

VictorySabre

Technical User
Feb 14, 2002
CA
Hi All,

I hope someone may have a solution to this problem. I have a Compaq ProLiant DL360 G2 1U server and I need to make a bootable DOS diskette with network access to allow me to make a Ghost image to be stored on a network share.

I had no problems creating one for the previous ProLiant DL360 model, but this new G2 unit with the NC7780 10/100/1000 NIC card is bugging me.

I have tried downloading Compaq's Gigabit NIC drivers SP19761 and edited the protocol.ini file with no success. I have also added in the "NODE" entry and "SLOT" entry in protocol.ini with no success. I also tried disabling the 2nd NIC and repeated the above with no success. Basically during the reading of the disk, it reports that a PCI LAN Adapter could not be found. The NIC does work as I it works in Windows 2000.

Does anyone know what drivers I am supposed to use?

Thanks,

Ed

OK,
So I opened the box and noticed the cdrom was IDE...how foolish of me. However, I have now run into a SID problem (am putting on win2K server).I dowloaded newSID but it didn't do me any good. Has anyone made a successful clone of a win2k server?
thx

Hi,

Having the same issue as W8in only on a DL580G2. Using the NC7770 Gigabit adapter(also the q57.dos driver). No problems loading the NIC, obtaining a DHCP address, but craps out with "DOS error sys0006" when starting the requestor.

I called compaq, they suggested I try an older driver from sp19858, but this ended up being the same q57.dos driver. After some digging, I found the initial release of the driver in SP19849( Loading this produced the same result, only minus the SYS0006 error message. Any one else dig anything new on this issue?

lordaeron, are you loading a 7770, or are you using on board/fiber?

Thanks.

I too had luck on the Proliant GL380 using the Intel Ethernet 10-100 PCI from Ghost...works to create default LAN card and logs in.

HI All,

Im trying to ghost a 2000 Server, The actually thing of ghosting the server isnt the worry. Its just that ghost doesnt have the driver i need which is a NC3163. The driver has to be made into a dos or Ndis2. Im unsure of which to use or how to make the driver. I use ghost 7. Im running out of time on this project. so any help would be greatful

does anyone have a boot disk working for the dl380g2 or the dl580g2. I have tried the b57 and q57 driver and I get the sys006 error. I created my boot disk using ghost boot disk wizard and modified the required files.

I have also gotten a disk working but when I try to load the ghost exe i get 'out of conventional memory errors'

any help appreciated

I have a Proliant DL380 G2 and have had some success with ghosting. I am using the 3com boot services to PXE boot and load my "boot floppy" over the network. But this boot floppy should work if booted locally. Here is what I have:

Win98 boot floppy containing:
IO.SYS
MSDOS.SYS
COMMMAND.COM
AUTOEXEC.BAT
CONFIG.SYS
HIMEM.SYS
\GHOST
GHOST.EXE
GHSTWALK.EXE
\NET
UNDIPD.COM
The autoexec file contains:
@echo off
prompt $p$g
\net\undipd.com
cd a:\ghost

The config.sys file contains:
device=himem.sys

That is the whole thing. This is the only part that actually works great. The system boots, gets an IP address and can find the ghostcast server every time. My problem is 90% of the time, the image dump or load stops randomly between 1 and 99% complete with a "Application Error 512 - ghostcast write error" or a "Application Error 506 - ghostcast read error". I have this problem on all 6 of my servers (the "client") and on 3 different computers used as the "ghostcast server" (2 Dells and a Compaq - even tried different brands of NICs in the ghostcast server and reloaded W2K from scratch). I have also connected the DL380 and the ghostcast server together with a dumb hub to eliminate my Cisco switches as a source of the problems.

Has anyone else had the same experience? Any ideas on what to try next?

Mike

What version of Ghost are you using? -----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

I'm using 7.5 Corporate. I've been trying the NDIS drivers but now I'm getting the "DOS error SYS0006". I'll try the steps Simonka suggested.

Does anybody know to put in the NET.CFG to get 100 FUll duplex out of it to connect to a NetWare server when booting from a DOS diskette and using VLMs? Got the same problem on DL380G3 and DL360G3 as well.

This comes from the Norton Ghost 2003 manual.

Error when creating a network share in DOS
------------------------------------------
Problem:
When creating a network share in DOS either via the Virtual
Partition or a mapped network boot disk the following error
message is displayed:
DOS error SYS0006 occurred trying to load "A:\NET\NET.EXE".
The REQUESTER service is not started.
Is it OK to start it.
Solution:
You can choose Y<ENTER> to continue. To avoid the problem in the
future remove any unnecessary drivers.
-------------------------------------------

I suspect this is a out of memory problem, hence why Symantec states to remove any unnecessary drivers.

-TC-

sgtsalmon is correct...i downloaded and used Bart's Network Boot Disk v 2.7 from and it worked great on a DL360 G3. Remember to download the Broadcom Driver from the list. Now I just need to pare down the boot disk and fit the Ghost Directory on this disk and Im happy.

Manu

Back to ghosting the DL360:
1. what diskarray drivers needs to be used?
2. which ghost version?

Tried with generic SCSI DOS support diskette (SP10751.exe) and Ghost2003, no success.

Regards

Alik

Working with the DL360 G3, NC77xx, and Ghost 7.5.

USED Compaq NDIS2 SP19858 & ghost boot disk wizard to no avail.

However using the NDIS2 driver from broadcom.com (ndis2-6.46.zip) with the ghost boot wizard,

No problem!

Same configuration as compaqkiller.

Everything works fine with the the NDIS driver from broadcom as mentioned above.

B57.dos is the correct/working NDIS2 driver

While using the suggested driver of HP ( SP19858.exe ) the DOS boot process stops/hung while trying to bind the network adapter.

Has any one been able to Multicast to the Broadcom NIC's. I am able to unicast, and direct broadcast, but when I try to multicast to more than one machine, the multicast session will not start.

If any of you are having problems finding SP20958 go to ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/softpaq/sp20501-21000/

Happy Ghosting!!!

Victory at last. I too had the same problem with Ghost hanging when using the Broadcom driver. All versions had a similar affect. The solution that worked for me was found on the Symantec site at

with the addition of removing the NOEMS switch from the EMM386.EXE in the config.sys file.

Hope this helps you as it did me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back