Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Symantec Ghost & Compaq Proliant DL360 G2 Help 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

VictorySabre

Technical User
Feb 14, 2002
CA
Hi All,

I hope someone may have a solution to this problem. I have a Compaq ProLiant DL360 G2 1U server and I need to make a bootable DOS diskette with network access to allow me to make a Ghost image to be stored on a network share.

I had no problems creating one for the previous ProLiant DL360 model, but this new G2 unit with the NC7780 10/100/1000 NIC card is bugging me.

I have tried downloading Compaq's Gigabit NIC drivers SP19761 and edited the protocol.ini file with no success. I have also added in the "NODE" entry and "SLOT" entry in protocol.ini with no success. I also tried disabling the 2nd NIC and repeated the above with no success. Basically during the reading of the disk, it reports that a PCI LAN Adapter could not be found. The NIC does work as I it works in Windows 2000.

Does anyone know what drivers I am supposed to use?

Thanks,

Ed

I also want to ghost Proliant DL360 systems. It sounds like you have had more success than I have. At least you got one to work. After failing to make it work on the DL360, I removed the drive and connected it to a generic system via an Adaptec 2940 and a SCA SCSI cable adapter. This setup works fine for drives from other INTEL systems but it does not like the Proliant Drive. Ghost can see the drive, but it complained about an invalid boot sector and refused to make an image. Now I am playing with the command line switches.... I'll keep you posted.

I've just struck this same problem.
I have been successfully ghosting DL380 G2s and DL360s up until now but have come unstuck with the DL360 G2, am only running at 100Mb base T not Gb. Read somewhere that it was necessary to step down to 100Mb with ghost DOS packet drivers.
Compaq's web site states that Microsoft ODI drivers must be used to connect with these integrated NICs.
Symantec's ghost docs refer to ODI but not in regard to Microsoft networking. My version of ghost uses PCDOS and ideally DOS packet drivers.
So have you had any joy solving this problem?
Would appreciate any pointers.

I tried downloading the NDIS NIC drivers and populating them into Ghost to create the Ghost bootdisk. No luck.

With nothing to lose, I downloaded the ODI package on Compaq's web site and then edited the Autoexec.bat file in it along with system.ini (as written in the readme file on the diskette) and customized it to connect to my NT network (domain name, username, map shared directories, etc)

My ghost.exe files reside on a shared directory on a server. Basically, my autoexec.bat file maps the shared directory and executes the ghost.exe file.

Hopefully this helps.

Ed

Hmmm, Tried the compaq ODI disk (thanks victorysabre) but couldn't get much speed out of the NIC, 2hrs for a process that should take 15 mins.

Tried messing around with the net.cfg file, my switch settings to hard/auto/hard speed & duplex also editing the protocol.ini amongst other things.

Eventually rang compaq support who were helpfull but finally suggested installing a separate NIC in the G2s as a workaround.

Am currently downloading SP20958 (jkallen suggested) from

I have the same problem. I have been able to get the compaq odi disk to connect, but I want the ndis driver working. Compaq tech support referred me to a driver that doesnt work, but I suspect it has to do with the dual-nic and will need to be tweeked for "slot" If anyone gets this working, post the protocol.ini.

I got it working! I used the desktop broadcom driver (b57.dos) and everything is well. I sent the files needed to In case you are not familiar with that, Bart has a very nice way of making a boot disk that autodetects the network card so you can connect without prompting. Check it out.
Wes

i couldn't find the driver (b57.dos) on . i tried also bart's bootdisk with autodetect the network card. it asks for a cab file named "q75" which i couln't find on bart's site too. where else can i find the files? thanks for help

hi all,
i got it working :) here is a list of what i did step by step.
1. download SP20958 from 2. unpack the file
3. open ghost boot wizard and create a network boot disk
4. add ndis2 driver from sp20958\NDIS2\DOS\b57.dos
5. let ghost creat the bootdisk
6. open the file a:\net\protocol.ini of the new ghost boot disk
7. change

[nic]
drivername =

into

[nic]
drivername = "B57$"

now it should work!

simon

Can anyone point me in the right direction, in order to create a Ghost Bootdisk for the DL380 G2. I have via this site created a BD for the new DL360 G2.

Appreciated in advance.

I have a working network boot disk for this machine, however, Ghost tells me it cannot find any local disks. I don't think I have the SCSI controllers loaded correctly.

If you are interested in helping me get the disks loaded, I can help you with the network piece.

I'm having a similar problem to the original post. I'm not using Ghost but I am using Bart's Network Boot Disk. I am on a Windows NT4 DHCP network from which I perform all my builds. Using Bart's disk and the B57 driver from his site, I am unable to obtain a DHCP IP address with a Compaq DL360 G2 using the dual embedded Broadcom NetXtreme NICs (7780). The B57 driver will load and identify the correct speed/duplex including the slot and device number. It eventually stops at the "Obtaining DHCP address" message but does not lock-up. That same disk works for all my other servers using the e100, e1000 and the n100 drivers.

Depending on the server, sometiems I have to disable one of the embedded NICs for the drivers to work (i.e. Compaq DL380 using the e100 driver). I have tried numerous combinations of disabling iLO, NIC1/2 or leaving them both active to no avail. I've exhausted all the possible combinations.

After speaking with Compaq, they mentioned I might be having some memory management problems with my boot disk but I doubt it. They also mentioned that I should be using their "Q57" driver instead of the B57 driver. I took the time to make a bart-ified Q57 driver and it bombs out when the disk issues the "netbind" command and locks-up. Interestingly enough, the q57.dos is about twice the size of the b57.dos driver. Compaq claims that they are the same driver.

For anyone on this thread that HAS had luck getting Bart's disk to work, I would like to know if you are using different IRQs in the BIOS, disabled any devices, etc. I know there must be a sweet-spot to getting the driver to work. I dont have the luxury of having Ghost create my boot disk so I'm doing this the old fashioned way.

The Compaq DL360 G2 is running the latest firmware. Thanks all...

Hi, I use the Ghost's default driver,
Intel EtherExpress Pro 10-100 NDIS
it works fine with Compaq DL380G2.

cheers.

I am experiencing the same problem as SilloSyben with a bit of a twist. Utilizing Bart's bootdisk, which I have used for a while now, I have no problem connecting to the domain and pulling down a Ghost image. However, when I boot the DL360 using PXE, I can contact the RIS server fine but as soon as it TFTP's back to start the image pull down, I can no longer get a DHCP address.

I have tried both the B57 and the Q57 drivers and they both find the card and load the driver just fine. It's at the stage where it is attempting to contact the DHCP server that it bombs.

I am wondering if it is the version of the boot agent that I am running but I cannot get it upgraded. On any DL580 G2 server I do not have this problem at all, just on the DL360 G2.

Any ideas?

I get past the DHCP, but when the Autoexec.bat wants to run net.exe start, I get a DOS error SYS0006 while starting net.exe
Anyone an idea ?

I have the same issue as W8in! I'm W8in too! Any help would be much appreciated.

I'm having a problem with Intel Pro 1000 Nic. The ghost boot disk lists it, I select it, then when I reboot with ghost disk it doesn't find the Nic card. The dos version is e100 or e100b, I've tried both. I was wondering if the step by step instructions posted by simonka would apply to this type of Nic as well. Any other help also greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I got the nic working and made a a ghost image. But I can't get the dos drivers to be able to either: recognize the cdrom, or recognize the raid array. Hence my problem resides in installing the images on other servers. I tried the smrtscsi.sys and the other ASPI drivers that come with smartstart..but can't seem to get them to work.

any help is appreciated.
thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back