Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Symantec Endpoint Protection 11.5 Install & Best Practice

Status
Not open for further replies.

roger85

Technical User
May 12, 2007
Hi Guys,

I'm about to do some testing with Endpoint 11.05 and wanted to know if anyone has any good install instructions & best practices.

My network is standard, 2 Windows 2003 servers, 1 Exhcange 2003 box and 50 pc's.

This will be my first install so will be installing on a test XP computer to learn and play with first.

Any advice, tips, tricks and cheat sheets would be great.

Cheers

Hmm.

A few tips:
[ul]
[li]Don't use terminal sessions to install software on servers - some server packages will fail to install.[/li]
[li]For the server installs, make sure the install packages downloaded are locally stored on the machine. Some items may fail to install if you install with the source files on the network.[/li]
[li]Create a server group for the servers and create packages specific to the servers that don't include network threat protection. Having this enabled can prevent Active Directory, DHCP, and DNS from working properly.[/li]
[li]When installing the AV for Exchange, make sure that a license file is installed, or the server won't be protected.[/li]
[li]After the Exchange protection is installed, make sure that Exchange's temporary folders are NOT scanned by the AV installed on the server.[/li]
[li]If you are using Exchange only and POP/SMTP/IMAP is disabled for all workstations (i.e. blocked at the perimeter firewall), make sure your client installer doesn't have Exchange support installed. Having this installed can seriously slow down Outlook.[/li]
[li]After installing the management console, check the password settings for the Admin user. It may force you to change the password after a specified interval and this may not be what you want.[/li]
[li]Create an installer package for both servers and workstations. You can set SEP to push the updates to clients or install them manually from a network share. The only picky things are the management console and MSE.[/li]
[/ul]

That's all I can think of for now.

Thanks a billion, some really usefull tips there.

As I said, its my first roll out of SEP so your information is really great for someone like me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back